Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Webleys@an Exhibition!

lewwallace

Got my 'Ole Girls' out of the safe and put them on display. First time ever they had all been out together! Thought members would like to see what 35+ yrs of hoarding looks like.

Most attendees here in WV USA were puzzled as to what they were but I was more than glad to educate. Its gratifying to see fathers and young sons together, learning something new, especially in todays black, plastic, mass produced f/a market here in the USA? No one left the table with out a sincere thank you and even the veteran 'showers' spared no praise!

I will endeavor to put up some more pics in the future with close-ups and include some of the more rare examples I have managed to accquire.

There's 49 all told!! And yes I do shoot them! Have fun looking! LW

post-119060-0-77575400-1418663225_thumb.

Got my 'Ole Girls' out of the safe and put them on display. First time ever they had all been out together! Thought members would like to see what 35+ yrs of hoarding looks like.

LW

LW,

Welcome to the Forum, I see you are in West Virginia, USA.

What a fabulous collection of Webleys. I can see Pryse, W.G.s, Webley & Scott semi-automatics and an array of service revolvers, a collection to be proud of.

It would be nice to see them in more detail, particularly the rarer models.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

LF

Hello lewwallace I was hoping you might be able to help me as you appear to be a bit of a Webley man. I think I have an inert Webley round .455 wondered if you could confirm that? If that is the case would you know which if any of your fine girls it was made for?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Steve

post-115411-0-99378200-1418849105_thumb.

post-115411-0-47095300-1418849115_thumb.

Much appreciated gents.

Thanks Chris for the conformation and very helpful links of which I particularly liked the second.

I had only found Mr Edwards listings which were most useful, but possibly not enough photos for a complete novice.

lewwallace are you saying this round would fit all Webley revolvers?

Chris are you a collector of the .450?

Thanks again

Steve

Wow... what an amazing collection. Superb !

And here's me... the proud owner of a solitary deactivated job... oh well, I do have my grandfather's open-top holster to display it in.

Keep up the good work, the preservation of such pieces is our task/passion/duty. For the benefit of future generations.

All the best.

Chris are you a collector of the .450?

Thanks again

Steve

No I am not. I do own a 1918 MkVI .455 but my main interest is Enfield rifles.

Chris

Ah ok sorry Chris. I saw the author was Chris (he collects .450s) and given your knowledge I have clearly made 5. Apologies again but a very fine interest you have. Could I ask one more thing. How far down the ranks were revolvers issued? If that's not to stupid a question.

How far down the ranks were revolvers issued?

Many Other Ranks were issued with service revolvers down to the rank of Private, for example, a Private who was a Despatch Rider could have carried a service revolver as did certain Gunners, likewise with the RFC/RAF certain Airmen were issued with service revolvers.

Regards,

LF

Hello lewwallace I was hoping you might be able to help me as you appear to be a bit of a Webley man. I think I have an inert Webley round .455 wondered if you could confirm that? If that is the case would you know which if any of your fine girls it was made for?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Steve

I don't know if your round is inert, it appears the primer has not been fired?

regards

Bob R.

Hello Bob

Thank you for your interest, I probably could have worded it a little better. I know the round to be inert. It was it's identity I was unsure on. You are right about the primer, but the cap has been oiled.

Steve

• 8 years later...
On 18/12/2014 at 19:51, Lancashire Fusilier said:

Many Other Ranks were issued with service revolvers down to the rank of Private, for example, a Private who was a Despatch Rider could have carried a service revolver as did certain Gunners, likewise with the RFC/RAF certain Airmen were issued with service revolvers.

Regards,

LF

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one, so searched the forum and came across this post

LF - do you know what was issued to whom? By which I mean officers bought or later got issued Mkvi webley, but were OR issued the same thing when they were in a role that required a pistol rather than a rifle? Did they get a mkV, MkIV or some other revolver?

thanks 

ed