Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering an attack 100 years ago today

Chris_Baker

Remembering the attack made 100 years ago today by the 2nd Royal Scots and 1st Gordon Highlanders against Petit Bois and Maedelstede Farm near Wytschaete. A tragic disaster which, according to one young observer, saw the men "little better than murdered".

Chris

Well put. I can feel Billy Congreve's anger (it was his quote was it not?) from the top of the Scherpenberg over the intervening century. Sir John French was clearly seeing something completely different.

Not forgotten.

Pete.

post-101238-0-42918300-1418567196_thumb.

A tragic disaster which, according to one young observer, saw the men "little better than murdered".

Chris, sorry to ask, but I do not get the full context here: do you mean "murdered" by the opponent German soldiers or a donkey British general please?

I am quoting from someone who watched what happened and was himself a well respected and very brave staff and regimental officer. He meant murder by the high command.

I am quoting from someone who watched what happened and was himself a well respected and very brave staff and regimental officer. He meant murder by the high command.

Thanks Chris

;and also helpjpl for the link - interesting

The closing entry for the Royal Scots diary, 14th December, 1914.

post-12171-0-37293000-1418585750_thumb.j

• Admin

Not forgotten, some of these men lie in a mass grave at Irish House. Every day since about 12 August Wayne and I have been doing an on this day search on CWGC, the number of casualties today us appalling

Michelle

Hope you are both well; here is the mass grave photographed in June.

Pete.

post-101238-0-43330600-1418589208_thumb.

Lest we Forget, brave men all rest in Peace :poppy:

Does anyone know what German units met this attack & inflicted the awful casualties? I'm sure they were glad for the easy targets & the victory but I wonder how many of them saw it happen & the destruction of the attackers & thought "Dear GOD! How can they be sent on such an attack?!". I'd like to see what the unit histories of the defenders had to say about that action.

The war diary of the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers (in the 9th Brigade, and immediately to the right of the 8th Brigade), shows that initially the 8th Brigade had been ordered to repeat the attack of 14th Dec. on the following day at 1.20 pm. Fortunately this second attack was cancelled. Possibly it had been realised that the attack was unwise, or possibly 8th Brigade were in no fit state for a second attack.

William