Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

APM British Adriatic Mission

Guest Matt_Lund

Good morning,

I am researching an officer who served with The Border Regiment, and I have found on his Medal Index Card something which I have never come across before and was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on the matter.

Prior to being a Major in The Border Regiment (he was also pre-war Border), he is a Captain in the 'APM British Adriatic Mission'.

Does anyone know what this is? Is there a source out there that could give me more info? I have done some searching on-line but haven't come up with much.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Hello Matt

The British Adriatic Mission was a liaison mission, and he would have been the Assistant Provost Marshal, in charge of the Military Police, discipline generally, and probably other legal matters too.

Ron

APM = Assistant Provost Marshall.

British Adriatic Mission = British liaison staff attached to the Serbian army and associated smaller Balkan states. I think they were based partly in Serbia or Montenegro and partly in Corfu.

Edit: I see that Ron beat me to it......!

Edit: I see that Ron beat me to it......!

Ah, but I didn't know whether they were liaising with the Serbs or the Italians - or even the Greeks!

Ron

Ah, but I didn't know whether they were liaising with the Serbs or the Italians - or even the Greeks!

Actually, I think they also liaised with the Italians as well, and had an office in Rome. I think their primary roles related to intelligence (preparing intelligence assessments on Austro-Hungarian forces/activities in Serbia and Montenegro) and logistics (logistical support/co-ordination for the Serbian army, and for Serb refugees fleeing to Italy and adjacent Mediterranean States - maybe Greece too?).

• 1 month later...

Matt, I am interested to know the name of the officer you are researching. I've been looking at a similar medal card - it might even be the same one. H E Chapman?

David