Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Brownlie - RAF

Swally

Morning Guys,

I am compiling a book of those who served and fell during the Great War from Cambusnethan, Morningside and Newmains (all Wishaw area), and I am needing help with this guy

William Brownlie - Royal Air Force

116 Cambusnethan Street

I can't find him on the CWGC can anyone shed any light?

Or have any suggestions or information I would be obliged.

Thanks,

Swally

Service sheet, available on Find my Past.

Date of birth 22/06/1894.

Next of kin Father, John, of 116 Cambosnethan Street.

Enlisted 09/01/ 1918.

Discharged 02/11/1921.

Service number 119020.

Served in France 14/07/1918 until 09/08/1918.

Served as a machinist.

Bob

Bob,

Magic thanks for the help...............so why is he on the War Memorial???? Am I right in saying if they died uptil 1921 of a condition which they received during the war then they were entitled to be named as war dead??? I think I'll go onto Scotlands People and see if I can get his death cert.

Thanks,

Swally

Swally

I have been looking at Scotlands People and am having a problem finding his death certificate (unless I am missing something very obvious). His father died in 1919 and the certificate was witnessed by his son-in-law which could tie in with Bob's record of William Brownlie not being discharged from service until 1921. I was a bit confused whether William Brownlie lived in Cambusnethan or Wishaw and on what war memorial his name was recorded. The 1901 Census indicated he was born in Cambusnethan. Do you know what year the war memorial was unveiled because that might narrow the timescale down? He could also have died in the UK but outwith Scotland.

Douglas

Douglas, as far as I know the Newmains War Memorial, or to give it it's correct title The Cambusnethan Landward Memorial was erected around 1921 /22. I checked Scotland's People and I couldn't get him either. Did soldiers deaths get registered also??

His address was 160 Cambusnethan Street...........which is in the village of Cambusnethan, within the town of Wishaw

Swally

Scottish servicemen deaths are usually recorded in the Minor Records section of Scotlands People. However, if someone died within the UK, but not Scotland, the death would not, I think, be recorded in the Scottish Statutory Records.

I wonder if the discharge date of 2 November 1921 was possibly his date of death.

Douglas

Thanks to Littlebob, it would appear that William Brownlie survived the was, the notes in the Memorial Booklet for Cambusnethan must be wrong. Thanks Bob