Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley vi ? & Hello

Guest John303

New to the this Forum & site, so Hi to everyone.

Just purchased a Webley MkVi and know absolutely nothing about them except I've wanted one for a long time.

It has the following marks, Broad arrow, Crown over GR over Crossed swords over P, Crown over 37 over P,Serial # is 2951xx and a 1917 patent + one other 17, all on the frame.

I don't think it has been altered as there are marks on the face of the cylinder, so in the original .455 cal.

Interesting, at least to me, there are 3 notches cut into the grip. Would be interested in any info. but is there a way to trace it back into history. would be interesting to "hear" the story of the notches.

Thank you for any contributions to my questions.

New to the this Forum & site, so Hi to everyone.

Just purchased a Webley MkVi and know absolutely nothing about them except I've wanted one for a long time.

Welcome to the Forum.

The Webley Mk VI markings you are detailing on the revolver's frame are standard Government ownership marks, and proof marks for the KGV period.

Tracing a serial number on a standard Webley Mk VI service revolver is almost impossible, as the serial numbers were not issued in any sequence, for example your revolver's serial number is 2951xx, and for the year 1916 the lowest serial number observed was 185436, and the highest 411854, for 1917 the lowest was 231978 and the highest 399242, and for 1918 the lowest was 260657 and the highest 429050, so your serial number could literally fall into any of those years

Webley kept records for the private purchase revolvers, such as the Webley WG etc., and those records are available through the Webley Archive, but no such records are available for individual Mk VI service revolvers.

It is good that the original markings are still on the cylinder face, which usually shows that the revolver is still in the original .455 calibre, as the cylinder face has not been shaved.

As for the notches on the grip, who knows who put them there or why ? I have never heard of a British officer recording ' kills ' by notching his revolver grip as in the American Wild West, so those grip marks are anyone's guess, they are most likely heavy use marks.

Enjoy your new purchase, the Webley Mk VI is a superbly made revolver, and a very nice item of WW1 history to own.

Regards,

LF

If it was a service issue revolver (almost certainly in 1917) it should have a small crown and letter over two digits stamped on the left side of the barrel strap where it becomes the barrel,, just above the cylinder recess. This is the inspection mark and year it was accepted into service. - e.g. '17. Good shooting - SW

LF & SW - Thank you for the info. SW there is a 17 in the position you state and LF I doubt the three notches are wear as the look to be "cut" in and evenly spaced. As you say well never know but intriguing just the same. --- John

LF & SW - Thank you for the info. SW there is a 17 in the position you state and LF I doubt the three notches are wear as the look to be "cut" in and evenly spaced. As you say well never know but intriguing just the same. --- John

John,

Who knows, perhaps the owner was keeping score !

Regards,

LF

Also new to this site! I thought I might start here with a picture of my Webleys at a recent gun show here in WV. Don't get all the girls out together much(every 5yrs or so) but they sure do make an impression on collectors and gun "nuts"! To keep this pertinent, I've been collecting for 35+ yrs. Started because couldn't afford Colts! Now getting to where Webleys are commanding premium prices, as they should, since they are some of the finest guns ever made.

That said; my suggestion is, if you really want to put together a group of fine firearms, buy or borrow one of the Webley books(Dowell or Bruce) and look at the examples of the less recognized manufactured. Also a great source for markings and origins. They show up on various sale sights and with a little perseverence you can get a collectable shooter. NEVER shoot 45acp in any revolver, as even the modified ones, nitro proofed or not, don't have the tolerance for modern ammo!!! LW

post-119060-0-72288500-1418652029_thumb.