Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Bertram Henry Barlow, Bedfordshire Yeomanry

Will M

I would like to gain more information about Lt. Bertram Henry Barlow, Bedfordshire Yeomanry, Territorial Force.

He purchased a 1912p Wilkinson sword on 4 Jan 1917. He was a cadet to be 2nd Lt dated 12 Dec 1916.

Richie gave me this "Initially a Sergeant - landed in France 10th June 1916. Commissioned 28th November 1916.

Born in 1890. Emigrate to Canada April 1926. Married 5th September 1928 Essex Ontario"

Any info in regards to Lt Barlow is appreciated. Of course what he did in the war is of most interest. Was he still cavalry or relegated to the trenches

100_9242_zpsec1a6815.jpg

100_9251_zpsb6278289.jpg

Thanks Phil for your help and quick response. I have used the site to order an estimate and then I can get a copy downloaded.

100_9262_zpsf3b3ce04.jpg

I have a copy of the regimental history at home; I'll have a look this evening if no-one beats me to it.

Married 5th September 1928 Essex Ontario

Name: Bertram Henry Barlow Age: 37 Birth Date: abt 1891 Birth Place: Ramsay, England Marriage Date: 5 Sep 1928 Marriage County or District: Essex Father: George Henry Barlow Mother: Mannie Simpson Spouse: Lilian Elsie Wilkinson Spouse's Age: 38 Spouse Birth Date: abt 1890 Spouse Birth Place: Cirencester, England Spouse Father: Edward Moss Spouse Mother: Elizabeth Browning

Thanks Phil for your help and quick response. I have used the site to order an estimate and then I can get a copy downloaded.

You will probably find that the cost is exorbitant. The officers' files are not downloadable, they have to be photographed from the original. If you can't get there yourself, it will be cheaper to get a researcher to do it for you. The NA estimate should give you an idea of how many pages are in the file, though.

Phil

Gets a few mentions in the History:

Page 50: 5th January, 1917, joins from England

Page 57: 2nd June 1917, in "D" Squadron

Page 84: attends Divisional School at Corbie (I presume 3rd Cavalry Divisional School) (Edit: 1st Cavalry Divisional School, of course.)

Page 89: takes out patrol (26th March 1918) near Vignacourt to see progress of German attack

Page 99: picks up rations (with Lieutenant Southern and 40 men) from airfield and reconnoitres copse near Warfusee in conjunction with Essex Yeomanry. Appears to be i/c 3 troop of D Squadron (29th March)

Page 101: returns to Bussy (following day)

Finally,Appendix E indicates that Number 329, Sergeant B H Barlow, proceeded to France with the regiment in March, 1915, an was commissioned from the ranks. so he was, almost certainly, a pre-war member of the regiment.

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Thanks Steven great stuff. At that rank that he is mentioned at all is amazing. There must be regimental photos existing of him somewhere.

No idea where any archive might be.

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives might be worth a spin.

You could try this site: http://bedfordshireyeomanry.co.uk/index.html