Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal, 20th December 1917 Raid Butkova Dzuma

RBrothwell1

My great uncle Ernest Shep Toyne was awarded the Military Medal on the raid on the Bulgarian lines at Butkova Dzuma on the 20th December 1917, he was in the 2nd Bn, Cheshire Regt. Doe's anyone know if the Citation's were published. I know they were not in the London Gazette.

Richard

Richard,

I don't have the answer to your question, but if you don't get a response here try posting in the medals sub forum in the Paraphernalia forum.

I just did a quick search in the Medals sub forum for citations and a member called coldstreamer stated the following:

'on the whole MM citations for ww1 don't exist'

Another member in the same thread suggested the local paper. Have you looked at the 2nd Cheshire Battalions war diary?

I'd been thinking of looking at the war diary's

Hi Graeme,

Couldn't find anything about his Military Medal, but I did find an article about Ernest Shep Toyne and his three brothers who went to the Great War published in February 1916. It also included a photo of each of them.

Regards,

Richard

Richard,

If you want to know more about the Salonika theatre of war I would recommend the following books:

‘The Gardeners of Salonika’ by Alan Palmer. A good written account of the whole campaign and the politics around it.

‘Under the Devil’s eye: Britain’s forgotten Army at Salonika 1915-1918’ by Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody. An excellent account of the activities of the BSF in Salonika.

You could also join the Salonika Campaign Society they have a very useful Trench map DVD for sale that includes the Butkovo map.

The 2nd Cheshires war diary is available for download on the National Archives website link below:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_q=2+battalion+cheshire&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna&image1.x=38&image1.y=16

Finally you could buy a copy of ‘The Cheshire Regiment in the Great War’ or visit their museum in Chester.

• 1 month later...

Found out he got the MM for Gallantry and Devotion to Duty in the Field

• 3 years later...

Hi Richard.  I thought that I'd posted a reply yesterday but can't see it.  Shep was my paternal grandfather.  I have his medals and associated documents.  If you'd like a photo please let me know.

Andy Toyne