Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Peter Marron - Driver 44th Brigade RFA

malcmere

Hi

Just want a bit of advice on one of my relative's Thomas Peter Marron and what to know if it is possible to deduce what specific battery he served when he was with the 44th Brigade RFA? As I would like to track the specific battles he was in. I can't find his service records so they must have been destroyed in WW2 but from Thomas' Royal Artillery attestation records I see that he joined up in 1913 and was a driver and served in France 1914 - 1915 then Mesopotamia 1915 - 1918. His medal card index states his qualifying date for 1914 Star 16/8/14 and that he was in 44th Bde as 73183 Driver TP Marron. I know that the the 44th Brigade was part of 2nd Division and formed of 47th, 56th & 60th (H) batteries with the 60th battery on 23rd June 1915 being assigned to the 3rd Lahore Division. The 3rd Lahore Division was then issued with orders to on 31 October to embark at Marseilles for Mesopotamia and where relieved from the front line on 6 November and were due at Basra in December, but their departure from Marseilles was delayed because of fear of submarine attack. 3rd (Lahore) Division finally arrived in Mesopotamia in April 1916.

From his medal card index I know Thomas Marron was with 44th (Howitzer) Brigade RFA so I presume that it is possible that Thomas Marron served with the 60th Battery and that is the reason for his entry it Mesopotamia? The only thing that contradicts that he might have been with the 60th Battery is that his Royal Artillery attestation records state he served in Mesopotamia from 1915 not 1916 the delayed date the 3rd (Lahore) Division finally arrived? I guess I will never know which battery he served with in the 44th Brigade RFA as he could have been transferred to another RFA battery to gain an earlier entry date in Mesopotamia in 1915? One fact I know is that he was back in England on 9th Oct 1918 as I have a photograph of him in his uniform with pith helmet taken in Canning Town on that date with 3 years oversea active service and 2 good conduct chevrons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Malcolm

post-103056-0-41061500-1418038766_thumb.

post-103056-0-50850600-1418038865_thumb.

post-103056-0-19920800-1418039040_thumb.

There is a Casualty List indexed on Find My Past and it confirms 73183 Driver Marron T. was in 60th Battery. He had problems with a thumb and was admitted to hospital in Amara on January 14, 1917. I think the Attestation book record has picked up a posting date and not the actual travelling date. His new number given in 1920 (whilst in Section B Reserve) was 1009490.

Wow that was a quick response and positively answers the question that Thomas Marron was in 60th Battery. I have now found the record of his injury on Find My Past and have downloaded the 44th Brigade War Diary that includes the 60th Battery diary of its time in France 1914 - 1915. Its good to know exactly what battery he served in.

Much appreciated and thanks for your help.

Malcolm

• 3 years later...

I am in a similar position as Malcmere in trying to locate the battery which a family member served in.

He was Charles Henry Allington who served in 44(H) Brigade and arrived in France on 16 August 1914. His medal record card shows his number as being 68350 and he had the rank of Gunner. He later transferred to the Royal Garrison Artillery (number 173204) and was an acting corporal.

I have two photographs of him, one wearing tropical kit with corporal's stripes, and the other in European kit with sergeant's stripes, looking older, wearing the 1914 Star ribbon (with his brother Fred who was in the ASC) and with what appear to be four overseas service stripes on his lower right sleeve. Family information has it that he served at some time in India (possibly before the war), but this may be an error and he may have served during the war with an Indian division.

As well as trying to find which RFA battery he was in, I am also trying to locate which unit of the RGA he transferred into. As all three of his medals (1914 Star, BWM & VM)  bear the service number 68350, would I be correct in assuming that he transferred to the RGA after the end of the war?

ALLINGTON Charles & Fred.jpg

ALLINGTON Charles Henry 1.jpg

• 2 years later...

Many thanks for the information. Have you come across the War Diaries for September 1916 (the date he was transferred to the RGA)?