Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain & Riding Master Charles E.Hann - 3rd Hussars

JOSTURM

Charles Hann was a son of my 2 x great grandfathers sister, Emma Hann nee Sparrow from Suffolk and I have only recently discovered his military service. He apparently served in WW1 and I am looking for information on his service and hoping that a photograph might exist ?

Grateful for any information from those Pals with an interest in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars.

Many thanks

Josturm.

More negative than anything, but I have looked through the regimental history and he seems not to appear. The Index is pretty good and he's not in it, not does he appear to be included in any of the rolls of service, officers' records, wounded, decorated or anything else.

I suspect that as a Riding Master he would be a commissioned ranker, and therefore advanced in years so his service was extra-regimental.

The 3rd amalgamated with the 7th to form the Queen's Own Hussars, and are now in the Queen's Royal Hussars; you might try their museum http://www.qohmuseum.org.uk/

Steven,

he was born in 1863 so was in his forties when he was Riding master, but apparently finished up as a Major. He died in 1941.

josturm

So over 50 in 1914. Home service of some sort. Not "with" the regiment: may have rejoined in 1914 and been employed at Depot somewhere.

why not log onto british newspaper archive or findmypast sometimes free and search his name, may turn up a photo