Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Casualty Index Card

dgibson150

I am looking into a distant relative who was wounded on 14/7/1916 in the 9th (Scottish) Division attack on Longueval. There are two batches of documents in the service records relating to this relative, Sergeant Robert William Grainge service number 11964 of A Company 11 Battalion Royal Scots.

I only found the second batch of documents today and they seem to relate mainly to determining who was next of kin. Within these documents I found what looks to be some sort of index card. I am trying to decipher the front of this, see attached - the other side is just about next of kin.

With the benefit of the first batch of documents I can "translate" the first line in the centre column as relating to admission to the No 2 Stationary Hospital at Abbeville on 17/7/16. Similarly the next line relates to the admission to the 4th Scottish General Hospital at Stobill on 22/7/16. The next line must be to the effect that he died on 11/8/16, the date is just visible. I am a bit at a loss on the next two lines which are presumably to do with the admin of closing the case. Has anyone any idea what the procedure would have been?

David

post-108666-0-64045800-1417717585_thumb.

I think Army Form B2090 was something to do with official notification of death. There is a reference in another current thread.

Ron

Ron

Thanks for spotting the B2090. I couldn't find the other thread you refer to but, on looking through the service records of another relative casualty KIA I found that B2090 A was a field service "REPORT of Death of a Soldier to be forwarded to the War Office with the least possible delay after receipt of notification of death on Army Form B213 or Army Form A36, or from other official documentary sources." B2090 seems to be the non-Field version, which would be appropriate for Robert Grainge. I am not sure if this counts as a death certificate.

I also found out that the image above is not the front of a "Casualty Index Card", but the reverse side of a Next of Kin document, Army Form W. 3040.

David