Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second badge for identification.

MedalHunter

Nearly forgot! I did say two badges. Here is the second. It is gold braid/bullion in construction and is about 2 1/2" top to bottom and 2 1/4" side to side. It stands about 1/2" proud. It is paper backed. It is certainly original in feel and look but has been sat around for some considerable time unidentified. Can anyone help?

post-23-1099392263.jpg

Looks like a dress officers rank pip, late 19th/early 20th century at my guess.

DrB,

I think it's rather large at 2 1/2" for a shoulder pip. I have a suspicion that it could be something to do with the Order of the Bath, but as I've never seen an embroidered one, I don't know what size they are. Any more takers?

Hi Andrew,

It looks like i've posted this twice! Dope! That was suggested on the other thread but as I have said there, it's a bit large for a shoulder pip. Please see the other thread of the same name for my full response.

Cheers Ian.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps,

Same excuse for this one. I am able to tell you that the motto is 'Tria juncto in uno' ('Three joined in one') but other than than I haven't been able to pin it down.

Any fresh eyes please?

Regards Ian

Well, yes, it is an embroidered Star of the Military Division of the Order of the Bath - but that is what the basic officer's pip is, anyway! I would concur with Jim; it is probably from a horse blanket. Compare this pic of King George.

post-23-1103227088.jpg