Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify two badges.

MedalHunter

Hi All,

I have attached a picture of a stamped plate with a monogram on it that I a) can't decipher and B) don't know the regiment to which it could be connected.

Can anyone out there help? The plate is about 2 1/4" square and is pierced in two places. It looks like it could possibly be placed behind something so that the monogram only shows. I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Regards Ian

post-23-1099391530.jpg

I`ve been trying to work out what the letters are. There seems to be an R (both ways round), an M and possibly an A. Did the Royal Marine Artillery or Royal Military Academy have such a cipher? PhilB

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps,

No apologies for bringing this to the fore again. I'm still no closer to identifiying it.

A fresh look by you chaps and perhaps someone who hasn't seen it yet might help.

Regards Ian.

Looks very similar to the cypher used as a collar badge by ORs of the Royal Australian Artillery. This certainly existed as early as the First World War. I have seen a badge of this vintage as the RAA was my first regiment. Cypher stands for Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery

Greg

Cheers for that Greg.

I have to say that I'm pretty sure that it is British though.

Does anyone have an illustration of the Cypher Greg is referring to?

Thanks in advance Ian.

Afraid I got it wrong- the RAA cypher is just that but the cypher is very similar to the RA cypher/monogram

I attach a picture I found on an Australian Website ( www.diggerhistory,info/badges-badges/badges-history03.htm)

post-23-1103812987.jpg