Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52nd Lowland Division War Diaries October November 1918

owen4256

I'd be grateful for help from those familiar with the unit war diaries for the 52nd Lowland Division from 29th October 1918 to the Armistice. I am looking for references to VIII Corps Cyclist Battalion. Elements of the VIII Corps Cyclists were attached to units of the 52nd as reconnaissance troops from 29th October 1918. I believe that 1 platoon was attached to 7th Cameronians but I'm not clear what happened to the other platoons. Any signposting to dates and units where the Cyclists are mentioned would be much appreciated. Icing on the cake would be if you could post the details!

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive. They are probably among this lot, on the N & MP Archive site. Click You will need to subscribe. Some of these diaries are a bit mixed up, so you would be better searching yourself, as you know what you're looking for. They probably will be available on the National Archive site for download, might be cheaper to just download the one you require?

52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Divisional Cyclist Company 2892 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery 9 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 2892 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery 56 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 2892 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Divisional Trench Mortar Batteries 2892 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Divisional Ammunition Column 2892 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Corps of Royal Engineers 410 Field Company Royal Engineers 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Corps of Royal Engineers 412 Field Company Royal Engineers 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Corps of Royal Engineers 413 Field Company Royal Engineers 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Corps of Royal Engineers Divisional Signal Company 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Northumberland Fusiliers 17th Battalion (N.E.R. Pioneers) 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Machine Gun Corps 52 Battalion 2893 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Army Medical Corps 1/1 Lowland Field Ambulance 2894 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Army Medical Corps 1/2 Lowland Field Ambulance 2894 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Army Medical Corps 1/3 Lowland Field Ambulance 2894 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Army Veterinary Corps 1/1 Lowland Mobile Veterinary Section 2895 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops Royal Army Service Corps Divisional Train (217, 218, 219, 220 Companies A.S.C.) 2895 VIEW DIARY
52 DIVISION Divisional Troops 984 Divisional Employment Company 2895 VIEW DIARY
Mike

Mike

The unit War Diary is WO 95/828. I have already copied this and it only records the fact that they were attached to 52nd Lowland but no further details. What I'm hoping for is references in other unit diaries, probably infantry battalions, as below:

From the War Diary of the 7th Cameronians 10th November:

BLATON 10th 0830 156th Inf Bde. Order No 70 received 0200 & the Brigade continued its advance eastwards. The Battalion formed part of the main body and, following Bde. Hqrs. passed the starting point at 0835. 4th Royal Scots were advance guard to the Brigade. SIRAULT was reached without incident. At this place verbal orders were received from Brigade to pass through 4th R.S. and cover the advance of the Brigade - Final objective - a line east of ERBAUT to cover that village.

The advance guard consisted of

7th Scottish Rifles

C Coy 52nd Bn. M.G.C.

A battery 9th Bde. R F A

1 Platoon Corps Cyclists

all under command of O.C.7th Scottish Rifles.

Best

Clive

• 2 months later...

My grandfather was in the 1/7th Royal Scots. I have just inherited (three days ago) some of his photo's and one looks to be a Cycling Unit. The diret link is http://royalscots.smugmug.com/RobertBairdsPhotos/i-5CN5DnC/0/X2/R_Baird_Collection10-X2.jpg

The full gallery is here: http://royalscots.smugmug.com/RobertBairdsPhotos/

If you recognise anyone, please let me know.

Cheers

Nathan

Canberra, Australia

Nathan

Thanks for the photos. VIII cyclists were all originally drawn from English and Welsh regiments so not them. Infantry battalions were issued bicycles for their signallers so this might be the signal section rather than a cyclist unit as such.

Regards

Clive

Thanks Clive, that fits in with my great grandfathers story. He was a Signaller. We have nothing but his photos to go off so I appreciate any feedback I can get. I can't believe how young they all look.

Cheers

Nathan