Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unearthing WW1, Dec 9, Yesterday channel

slick63

Swift to praise, slow to criticize. It has not been aired yet. I see Lt Col (Retd) Robinson? from the Durrand Group is in it. Lets wait with baited breath and see what is produced.

The quote beneath the trailer reads

''Military historian David O'Keefe and filmmaker Wayne Abbott unearth war junk from some of the great battles of the First World War''.

Are historical artefacts found on the field of conflict to be regarded as war junk? I'll await in anticipation to see what is produced and it will hopefully be better than the above comment.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I wished that I had never seen this thread or the programme - a couple of oxygen thieves purporting to be interesting.

Nice to see Pond Farm though and the amazing collection in the museum. It was also good to put a face to a name after seeing stijn post so many times here on the forum. I did like his tank bits!

Tanks3

It felt like the producers had one too many energy drinks making this programme.

Aside from the phrase 'War Junk' - used approx 20+ times (grated on me terribly) the tone of the programme was all a bit too 'Gung-ho' for my taste especially in light of the recent BBC programmes which were very well informed and delivered with a well judged, respectful tone.

Maybe it's me being a stereotypical Englishman but it was a bit much for me!

That said, Stijn is a remarkable chap with a wonderful collection, it was perhaps worth persevering through it just to see that.

Not impressed, unknown fuze? I identified it straight away as a 44 fuze.

John

Not impressed, unknown fuze? I identified it straight away as a 44 fuze.

John

being yanks they like to over sell the things they talk about ( wait to get shot down by any Americans)

An excellent collection by Stijn but sadly the rest of the programme was decidedly lacking.

being yanks they like to over sell the things they talk about ( wait to get shot down by any Americans)

Wayne Abbot and David O'Keefe? Canadians, I think.

Tom

Just watching it again and finding it interesting, despite the production style

I found the metal detection scenes somewhat irresponsible.

Maxi

I found their inability to google Caergybi and find its location most odd - as was the rest of their coverage of the Welsh New Testament and its owner.

As they seem to be Canadians I assume that some sort of an apology to Yanks will be forthcoming.

Kevin

Yes indeed Geraint.

You and I were probably screaming at the screen "YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG OWEN WILLIAMS!!!" after only watching 5 seconds worth.

They seemed amazed at the numbers of names on the Menin Gate, and they noted that it was just British , Empire and Commonwealth missing. They realised that It didn't include Belgians, French, German or American.

Just how many Americans died in The Salient, and how many of them have no known grave?

Bruce

to be honest I found it mildly interesting, so ok I didn't like the continual word junk, its better than x factor or jungle, :w00t:

at this rate it will be a toss up between stjin and Nigel cave who will be on the telly the most

There was some reaction to this programme on Twitter. Archaeologist Tony Pollard was very unimpressed. Paul Reed got into an interesting exchange with the Canadian presenter. There was particular concern about how far the participants were apparently messing around with unexploded ordnance without involving official bomb disposal units and the bad example that this was setting. There were also questions over the repeated use of the phrase 'War Junk' but apparently that is the original, supposedly catchy name given to the whole series when it is shown across the pond.

As they seem to be Canadians I assume that some sort of an apology to Yanks will be forthcoming.

Kevin

over the comment about Yanks being over the top - no

but as they were Canadians - then yes for assuming they were yanks by their behaviour

Turned it off after seeing the young mans museum which I thought was interesting, as regards the comment re the Menin Gate - well -

I must admit I enjoyed seeing Stijn and Johan, both Forum Pals and people I had the great pleasure of meeting for the first time last October. As my Grandfather and Great Uncle were with the Welsh Regiment in the Salient I also felt a bit of a connection to the feature on the Welsh Bible. I didn't think their Bible research was explained particularly well, but I was mildly impressed that the idea there was a place called Wales which was different to England was understood, especially as the rest of the programme was so brash.

Otherwise, I have to agree with other's comments.

Gwyn