Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Westminster Rifles

Entwistle

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the published unit diary of this Regt. I am looking for info that might cover the circumstances of the death of my Great G. Grandfather.

Rifleman WILFRED Joseph PARSONS 550883,

16th Bn., London Regt

(Queen's Westminster Rifles)

died on 30 April 1918

(JERUSALEM MEMORIAL)

I have his medal card and have seen the medal roll. Will be a long time before I can visit Kew again to read unit diary.

Thanks

He would have been part of the 2/16th Queens Westminster Rifles, 179th Brigade, 60th Division. On April 30th they took part in an attack on El Haud, a hill about 10 miles NE of the Dead Sea on the east side of the Jordan. The attack stalled and they withdrew on the 2nd May. The Brigade attacked again on the 3rd and on the 4th the Turks counter-attacked. This was beaten off but the Brigade then withdrew. The QWR lost 15 men killed.

Soldiers Died has different information, i.e. Number 559964, Killed in action 4th May 1918. They have him as born at Marylebone, enlisted in Westminster and lived in Holloway.

• 10 months later...
Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the published unit diary of this Regt. I am looking for info that might cover the circumstances of the death of my Great G. Grandfather.

Rifleman WILFRED Joseph PARSONS 550883,

16th Bn., London Regt

(Queen's Westminster Rifles)

died on 30 April 1918

(JERUSALEM MEMORIAL)

I have his medal card and have seen the medal roll. Will be a long time before I can visit Kew again to read unit diary.

Thanks

I've just read yours and it reminded me that on a search for the 1/16th I saw a photo album of the 2/16th in the 1918's. My memory is sketchy but it was definitely at the Imperial War Museum in London. It had a roll of honor at the back as well, and many of the casualties towards the end of the war was due to pneumonia/flu :(.

sorry this is vague, but if you can get there and pre-book the album, you might have some luck.

Sam