Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain WVT Rooper

RichardW

Capt Rooper initially served with the RWF and then the RFC. He was killed on 9.10.17.

I'd like to learn more about him & am very grateful for any help.

Hi,

Capt. William Victor Trevor ROOPER had previous service in the Denbighshire Yeomanry and the Royal Flying Corps.

He was killed in action on 9.10.17.

Information from Officers Died in the Great War.

Ian.

Captain William Victor Trevor Rooper Croix de Guerre (Belgium) from Gresford, Denbighshire and formerly with the 24th Bn RWF, was flying Nieuport 27 B6767 of No 1 Sqn RFC when he was killed in action on 9 October 1917. Capt Rooper was in combat with enemy aircraft over Polygon Wood when he was brought down; his aircraft crashed in the Front Line trenches and Capt Rooper was fatally injured.

Prior to his death, Capt Rooper was credited with 8 victories over enemy aircraft, four of them in B6767.

Gareth

W V T Rooper in the 1901 census

SN

• 3 weeks later...

Steven

I have just sent you an Email that was to go to RichardW. :rolleyes:

Hope you find the info of interest.

regards

Martyn

Richard

I little bit more for you.

After service with the Denbigh Yeomanry Lieutenant Rooper who was born in 1897 joined 1 Squadron in early summer 1917 and first claimed on 28 July. In mid september he was promoted to flight commander and by early November had brought his score to eight. Rooper is often reported killed in action on 9 October that year but he was actually shot down and crashed in the front line trenches breaking his thigh whilst flying B6767 near Polygon Wood. He subsequently died. His victor was Leutnant Helmut Dilthey of Jasta 27.

If you want I can mail you a list of his claims just let me know

Regards

Martyn

Martyn

Not that it matters much, but Capt Rooper may not have been brought down by Ltn Helmut Dilthey. The German claimed a 'Sopwith' on 9 October (but the Germans were never very good with identification of enemy types - if it was chocolate brown, had roundels and one cockpit, it was a Sopwith). In Above the Lines, The Sky Their Battlefield and The Jasta War Chronology, Dilthey's victory is identified as B3638, a SPAD VII of No 19 Sqn RFC, flown by Lt R I van der Byl, who was wounded.

It does seem a bit strange that books produced by the same team can have different conclusions, but perhaps subsequent research changed the view expressed in Above the Trenches.

Regards

Gareth