Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer (WWII)

GaryS

Hi people

I've got a fantastic book The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer about a German infantryman's experiences on the Russian front in the second world war.

I don't know if anyone has read this book but is there a similar book relating experience of soldiers in the Great War?

TIA!

Have read The Forgotten Soldier a couple of times, a great book, brings a tear to your eye at the end.

Steve Chilton

Steve

It is a great book. It's not technically brilliant but it does get you 'in there', at least it does if you have an imagination like I do! As you say, the ending is quite emotional.

I've also read "The Forgotten Soldier," a few times. It is a great book. There is a theory that it was actually written by two people. The dividing point is where the narrative picks up with Sajer joining the Grossdeutschland....it's an interesting thought. Some say Sajer (not his real name) never fought on the Eastern Front at all and treat it as fiction, very similiar to "The Red Badge of Courage."

But then again, it is still a powerful work.

In the WW1 realm, IMO only "All's Quiet on the Western Front, " compares, and the comparison is obvious. My old edition of "The Forgotten Soldier," is actually billed on the back as, ""The All's quiet ..." of WWII."

It's interesting, as I've read that Remarque also based much of his novel on the experiences of others, and was not relating, as many assumed, a fictionalized account of his wartime experiences. The story of Remarque showing up in an officers uniform after the war and being arrested always sticks in my mind.

Then again, Hemingway... to bring another great WW1 novel into this ... also wrote a great WW1 novel, and "let" people believe it was based on his experiences.

Paul Hederer

If you enjoyed Guy Sajer's book, may I also recommend a book called "Blood red snow" by a man called Gunther Koschorrek. It is been out a couple of years in the UK and is available on Amazon. Obviously it is fairly similar in content to Guy Sajer's book, but it is in fact the man's secret diary of his time on the Eastern Front (and has not had it's authenticity questioned- unlike Sajer's book). Koschorrek is /was a machine gunner and it covers his time from escaping from Stalingrad until being captured at the end of the war & also involves fighting in Roumania and Italy. Excellent book and well worth a read.

I enjoyed The Forgotten soldier as well, I can't say i noticed any difference in style or whatever after he transferred into Gross Deutschland

anyone interested in the eastern front (ww2) might enjoy 'with our backs to berlin' sorry i can't remember the author at the minute