Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Lamb, Leeds - b.1880

rocknrollnobody

There is a story in my family, that George Lamb was a bit of a loose cannon. After the war, he would never sleep and wandered the streets of Leeds at night, roughing up drunks and such. He was never properly arrested because the local police chief had served with Lamb in WWI in the same Regt, and so would let him stay in a cell overnight, and then release him. I guess in today's world, he'd be diagnosed with PTSD.

The family story goes, that Lamb served in the Boer war, and then in The Great War, but I cannot find any details to corroborate this. Frustratingly, I only found out about this story recently, and the relative I really needed to speak to about it sadly passed away a few years ago.

The info I have is this:

Name - George Lamb

DOB - circa 1880

POB - Leeds, West Yorkshire

Parents - John Lamb and Elizabeth Lamb (nee Dye)

Wife - Florence Annie Pearce (married 6th Oct 1906, Leeds, West Yorkshire)

Children - 1 daughter, Lily (DOB - 1906, Leeds)

Residences:

1891 (aged 11) - 53 Granny Lane, Wortley, Leeds, West Yorkshire

1901 - CANNOT FIND ANY DATA. But then, if it's true that Lamb was fighting in S.Africa, then he wouldn't be around.

1911 (aged 31, Clay Worker) - 67 Farnley View, Lower Wortley, Leeds

Does anyone have access to Boer War records that are a bit more detailed than FindMyPast? The records there simply list a name and a unit, of which there are several listed as George Lamb. I can find nothing military based in any records I've seen. Neither for The Great War, or for the Boer War.

I know it's tough when I've got no regiment, or enlistment date, or anything other than a story, but I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find out more about this guy. Even something as straightforward as a 1901 census for him would be good!

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful work you guys do.

Hi,

As you are wanting information on activities during the 2nd Boer war, you will need to google Kevin Asplin and make contact with him to see if he can help in any way.

We can only help with WWI queries.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

As you are wanting information on activities during the 2nd Boer war, you will need to google Kevin Asplin and make contact with him to see if he can help in any way.

We can only help with WWI queries.

Hope that helps.

I'm looking for any info at all on either his Boer War, or his WWI service.

George Lamb attested into the Militia Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment in 1898 giving his address as 67 Farnley View. Service No: 2776

I've sent you a PM.

Dave