Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW Camps in Wales

adrianjohn

Does anyone have any information on prisoner of war camps in Wales?

I have come across two references so far: Llansannan, near Llandudno - scene of an abortive escape attempt by German officers trying to reach a German submarine off the Great Orme - and Tregunter Mansion, Talgarth, 'Brecknockshire', now Powys.

TIA

Adrian

There was a camp at Queensferry from 1914 (soon after outbreak of war) to May 1915.

There was Frongoch, Bala from 1915 to 1919 (also had Irish internees following the Easter uprising)

Hywyn

Good stuff!

Many thanks - diolch yn fawr.

Adrian

Hywyn

That's a very kind offer. I will PM my email to you. I live quite close to Llansannan and often cycle over the Denbigh moors around Lyn Aled and Lyn Brenig so that will be of great interest to me.

Diolch yn fawr

Will PM you Hywyn - thanks for the kind offer. It's good of you.

Splendid - unique? - photos Ron. How, I wonder, did the good PC Cromwell coped with that handle!

And I like the pun on your name too! At least I guess it's a pun.

Adrian

Adrian,

My name is a combination of being half Italian and living in Wales! My fantasy football team is Inter Millandudno!

Regards,

Darryl

Graham Mark, Prisoners of War in British Hands during WWI (Postal History Society 2007) has four (A4) pages on Dyffryn Aled, three on Queens Ferry and four on Frongoch, all major PoW camps.

Talgarth is mentioned in the appendix as a working-camp under the administration of Frongoch.

Moonraker

Where is is Tregunter? I ride around Talgarth and can't say I place the name. Goggle brings up old Welsh news(good to read later on) but noting in regards location.

Thanks Moonraker

Scalyback: I can't place it either - and I live in Hay on Wye, just 'down the road'. I will find out and post here when I do.

If you Google CPAT Report No. 1226 First World War Scoping Project and scroll through the pages, you will find a picture of the German POWs at Tregunter.

If you Google CPAT Report No. 1226 First World War Scoping Project and scroll through the pages, you will find a picture of the German POWs at Tregunter.

That's an excellent report, I wish there were more like it for other parts of the UK.

Moonraker

Tregunter seems to be a farm at SO 135339. About 2km west of Talgarth on the unclassified road off the B4560 to Llanfilo.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The Times often reported on escapes and re-captures, but only briefly. Some local libraries offer access to the on-line archive. As a working camp the farm at Tregunter may well have accommodated PoWs doing agricultural work locally.

Moonraker

Just a bit more to add: The house was demolished in 1923 but the farm remains. Pevsner gives it a mention on those lines.

And thanks Dai Bach for your input.

There was a Forestry Labour Camp for German and Austrian PoWs at Gelli, Pembrokeshire, the PoWs were used in the nearby Drim Wood occupied in the felling of trees for pit props in Welsh mines

That's an excellent report, I wish there were more like it for other parts of the UK.

Moonraker

more and more ... good old Cadw

There was a Forestry Labour Camp for German and Austrian PoWs at Gelli, Pembrokeshire, the PoWs were used in the nearby Drim Wood occupied in the felling of trees for pit props in Welsh mines

more and more ... good old Cadw

Penally camp ahhhhh memorys!

Cheers AdrianJohn, I will have a nose about Saturday. The house may be gone and the farm extant but some field walking may be fun in the rain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I know of two PoW Camps in Wales during WWII. If you need further details, please contact me via my e-mail address. If you cannot see my e-mail address, leave me a message on the Forum. The information I have, has been obtained by me from the MOD, so it is highly reliable.