Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. 7694 Frank Wood, Leics. Reg

Peter Bennett

I am researching this soldier who was a postman in Dewsbury at the outbreak of the war. SDGW states born Peebles, resided Claythorpe, Lincs. He was killed on 25/10/1914.

I have traced him living in an orphanage in Peebles and he enlisted in the Leics. reg, the 1911 census shows him in India with his regiment. His sister was living in Dewsbury with her aunt who was the proprietress of the Temperance Hotel. His medals and possessions were sent to her after the war to the same address.

What I cannot fathom is his connection to Claythorpe unless he briefly worked at the huge flour mill there as he gave his occupation upon attestation as a baker.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated

Thank you

Peter

I often find very little to link a man to where he lived. Often lived has just been an address given rather than their "home" especially seen when come from abroad and given a relatives address

I often find very little to link a man to where he lived. Often lived has just been an address given rather than their "home" especially seen when come from abroad and given a relatives address

Thanks for your reply, I take your point but if he was an orphan with only a sister living nearly 100 miles from Claythorpe, I am not sure that he would know where it was unless he had been there.