Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clifford B. LLoyd

Michael Pegum

I have come across a memorial window in a church in County Dublin, commemorating Clifford B. Lloyd, who died on 27th January, 1915. A book about the artist who designed the window (Harry Clarke) says that it was sponsored by Clifford B. Lloyd's mother, and that he had been killed "on active service". There is no other information about him.

I can find no reference to him in the CWGC website, "Our Heroes", de Ruvigny or the recently-published Dublin City and County Book of Honour. Can anyone find any reference to confirm that he was a war casualty? I enquired about him about a year or so ago, but cannot now find the thread and am not sure if anyone looked at Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Michael Pegum

I searched Soldiers died and Irelands memorial records withour a hit.

Sorry.

Tom

Thanks very much for looking. Michael

Hi,

I have checked the 'Our Heroes' supplement to 'Irish Life' (a high society magazine from this period) but not found anything definite there.

It has a Captain Clifford Humphrey Lloyd (RFA) listed, but he is still living as of January 28th 1916. I mention him as he has an uncle Mr. Clifford B. Lloyd, of Lossett, Co. Cavan. His father is Brigadier-General F.C. Lloyd of Wrexham...but no links to Dublin.

Could you tell me which church it was that had the memorial, as I am researching WWI memorials in Dublin and would be interested to learn about this one. Also, if the church was Presbyterian, I can check the Presbyterian Roll of Honour for Dublin to see if he is listed (as I have photocopied that section).

If it was a Church of Ireland buidling it may have a associated Roll of Honour that would give his regiment.

It could be that the individual died after been discharged, of causes not directly relating to wounds and so did not officially qualify as a 'war casualty' but was deemed one by his community.

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Warren,

I think he must have been a civilian after all, as I found the notice of his death in the Irish Times for 29th January, 1915. It was in the civil section, not the Roll of Honour. He certainly died at home in Killiney. The window is in Holy Trinity (Anglican) Church, Killiney Hill Road.

I, too, am researching war memorials. You can see the results so far at my website, www.irishwarmemorials.ie which went on-line a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, it will be out of action during 26 to 28 November, as the hosting company is moving to a new server. After that (and assuming all the data isn't lost!) I will be introducing it in the Cemeteries and Memorials section of this forum. If you would like to contribute, please e-mail me. There is a standard form to be filled in. Contributions will be acknowledged on the site.

Michael Pegum

Warren,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'm glad to find I'm not the only one interested in this subject!

I would be delighted if you would contribute data and photographs. If you let me have your postal address, I will send you a few of the forms and notes on how to fill them in. Getting the photos on CD would be the best way, but you could send them by e-mail if you prefer. If you have looked at any of the documents with the text of the inscriptions you will see that the person recording a memorial is named, and your name will go there for the ones you send.

Let me know how many forms you need to start with. You will need one for each memorial.

By the way, I clicked on the address of your website as given in your e-mail, and was told I didn't have the right to see it!.Could you send your e-mail address?

Best wishes, Michael