Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

armistice day in Ypres 2004

Guest alex golf

Guest alex golf

Hello, my name is Alex and i live in Brighton in Sussex. New to the forum, and very interesting it is too.

I was wondering if someone out there can help me please.

I wanted to go to Ypres to see the Rememberence day services there, and just pay my respects. I went there on a school trip and it was one of the best things that i did at school.

However i think i have made a mistake. I have arranged to go over on Sunday the 14th thinking it would coincide with what we do in the UK, but now after looking at Belgium web sites i think that their main day is in fact on the 11th.

Is this correct?

If it is will there still be services at the Menin Gate etc on the 14th?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alex Wilson

the is a service every day!

the 14 th can be special too...

Alex,

welcome to the forum, and have a great trip. I have still to get there myself.

Regards

Steve Chilton

Hi Alex,

In answer to your question on the 11th November here in Ypres, the following services are being held:

9.30am - Service in St Georges Church and Cathedral of St Martins

11.00am - Official Armistice Service at the Menin Gate, also remember that there will be the Poppy Parade commencing from the in between St Georges Church and St Martins Cathedral where it will go up to the Menin Gate.

16.00pm - The Great War Remembered Ceremony at St Martins Cathedral, tickets are available for this, I think they can be purchased possibly at the Tourist Information Centre or try contacting the Last Post Association via their website.

On the 14th November there will of course be the sounding of the Last Post at Menin Gate as usual at 20.00pm.

The main services in respect of Armistice is on the 11th November here in Ypres, back in London it is always the nearest Sunday to Armistice.

Hope this helps.

Genevra