Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC driver attached to 81st Field Ambulance in Salonika

French Ray

Hi

Research in another forum(with the grateful assistance of members) has revealed my GF Charles(Charlie)Goldsmith(Army no T4/239401) served in the above unit. Has anyone got any info./pictures of this unit from 1917 onwards and their subsequent service in the Black Sea area.

I have a photo of a small group of men relaxing outside a thatched shelter. My GF is holding a small bird(Owl?) in his hand and anther man has what looks like an adult owl on his arm. his must have been taken in Salonika.

Can anyone throw any light on this scene ?

Regards

Raynutt7

I think you should go through his records again. Unless I have misread them he did not join the 81st FA until 15th Jan 1919. His units listed after disembarkation was 84 Inf. Bde. HQ from 23rd Jan 1917, attached 857 AT Coy from 13 Sept 1918, attached 2 Echelon 28 Division 2nd Nov 1918 and then going to various field and general hospitals until joining 81 FA.

May be wrong but I think it may be worth your time having another look.

Kevin

Hi

I have looked at the records online but don't seem to be able to see this info. Perhaps you are more expert than me at interpreting faded notes

I am looking at ancestry UK. Is this your source

Regards

Raynutt7

If you are using Ancestry then you should go backwards and forwards. Sometimes they put you in the middle of a mans records for some reason.

Perhaps the mods can merge your various threads on the same topic.

Kevin

Hi

His service record mention 81st twice but annoyingly after that the writing is indistinct could be FA or TA or even JA. One of the entries is a Salonika 3.1.17 reinfd.which must be reinforcement.Seems to fit in with what he told his family. He said he was in Salonika and Russia. Don't want to put round peg in square hole but I cant see what other 81st it can be.I understand each FA had many ASC drivers attached to them. He was overseas totally from 03.1.17 to 30.7.19

I have also found name of another ASC driver who was sent to Salonika at exactly the same time

Incidentally my GF is holding what he have always told is a owl. You probably cannot see that.

Ray

HI Kev

Just got first page one of the casualty report form.

I cannot decipher it properly but will work on it over the net day or so and see what I can find out

Cant see any mention of 81st F which seem to contradict info I have from ancestry

Regards

Ray