Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Front Soldiers

suesalter1

Although nothing can be done about it now, I agree that the soldiers who didn't serve overseas should have at least received the Victory Medal. They were still willing to leave their jobs and homes and enlist for who knew how long. Didn't they still contribute to the ultimate victory? At the same time, I guess it could be argued that if those servicemen received the medal, civilians who contributed to the war effort in factories and such would be entitled to something as well. It is all academic now but still an interesting thought to ponder.

I presume that you mean a British War Medal Fonz?

The Victory Medal was even more difficult to qualify for, you definitely had to be in a theatre of war.

So much so that one of my local casualties who was in the Army Service Corps left home on a transport ship, bound for service in Salonika. It hit a mine off Brindisi in Italy and sank.

He was drowned and only qualified for a British War Medal, apparently the Mediterranean wasn't classed as a theatre of war. German U-Boats did though!

BillyH.

Well, either or - a medal of some sort. I guess I am thinking too much about the U.S. World War II Victory medal. If you put on a uniform between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946, you got one, no matter if you were landing at Normandy on D-Day or spent the war shoveling crap at Fort Numbnuts in Yazoo, Mississippi.