Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Priestley - Number 2059 Royal Warwickshire Regiment

RussT

• Admin

Can't find a MIC for the above man using either Ancestry or TNA

He's recorded in both CWGC (as No 2059) and SDGW (as 16/2059), KiA 11/04/1917 F&F with the 1st Bn (previously RFA No 140437).

Perhaps his MIC is lost.

Any sleuths out there who can track it down?

Russ

• Admin

From the Medal Rolls:

2056 Cpl Priestley, Hubert; 2412 Cpl Yorkshire Dragoons, 2056 1st Bn R War R

A possible match? It is the the only H Priestley in the Warwicks medal rolls.

Glen

• Admin

Thanks Glen for taking the time to look through the Medal Rolls.

Match on surname and close on forename but nothing else seems to fit. Difficult to see how CWGC & SDGW would both have the same but incorrect number. SDGW also gives his former No/Corps as 140437 RFA, and the 140xxx series of RFA numbers were given out to new recruits (in 1916), not transfers.

Perhaps one possibility is that he joined the York Drgns (pre-war?), transferred to a TF RWR Bn (served in theatre, hence medals awarded under that RWR number), was time-expired (was that possible with the TF during the war?) and then called-up under the MSA in 1916 - and being finally transferred to the RWR (a batch of RFA men with similar RFA numbers were transferred to the 17/RWR with 16/xxxx numbers on 19/06/1916).

If it's not him, then it's a bit of a mystery. Easy to see how a MIC may get lost but not how he wouldn't be on the medal rolls.

• Admin

Russ

I don't have the rolls for the Stars so I don't know if he is in there.

TF men could be time expired I thin it was 4 years but maybe an extra year for wartime conditions) but if he finished before the MSA came in, he would have signed the Imperial Service Obligation and doesn't sound like he'd have left by choice. Unless he wasn't medically fir for 1915 standards but passed under the MSA?

Glen

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Asking for help from any super sleuths out there (and/or Royal Warwickshire Regiment experts):

CWGC records this man as 2059 Corporal H Priestley, died 11/04/1917 whilst with the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, buried Brown's Copse Cemetery, Roeux, Pas de Calais, France.

SDGW records this man as 16/2059 Corporal Herbert Priestley (born and enlisted in Bradford), KiA 11/04/1917 whilst with the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, formerly 140437 Royal Field Artillery.

No doubt in my mind that this is the same man. From other research he would have joined an RFA Reserve Battery in April 1916 and transferred whilst in the UK to the RWR 16th Battalion in June 1916 (possibly via the 17/RWR) and then some time later posted overseas and served either wholly or latterly with the 1st Battalion RWR with whom he was KiA.

I can find neither a MIC (on Ancestry, FMP or The National Archives) nor a record in the Medal Rolls (on Ancestry) for this man. It appears that no service papers have survived.

Just in case it's me, can anyone find a MIC or a Medal Roll record for this man please (or any other record)?

Regards

Russ

I've found this on Ancestry - Hubert Priestley - same date of death:

Name: Hubert Priestley

Military Year: 1914-1920

Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regimental Number: 2056

Previous Units: Yorks. Dragoons. 2412 Cpl, 1st Bn. R. War. R. 2056 Cpl

Listed under H Priestley

Name: H Priestley

Military Year: 1914-1915

Medal Awarded: 1914-15 Star

Regiment or Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regimental Number: 2412

Previous Units: Queens Own Yorks. Drag.

Mike

• Admin

Mike

Very well spotted.

I did notice this man during my trawl through all these records and I did have a look at his MIC and his medal roll - but I only opened his VM & BWM medal roll. I dismissed him because of the differences - forename, former regiment and RWR number.

But after you spotting the same date of death on his 1915 star roll, I now think that this must be the same man. Whilst, there are still those differences, as above, they now look too close to be real and now the similarity of the date of death looks too convincing.

If correct:

1) then his name was either Herbert or Hubert (the latter is on the MIC & VM/BWM roll but just given as H on the 1915 roll)

2) then given that both CWGC and SDGW have his RWR number as 2059, it looks possible that the number 2056 on his rolls (and hence MIC) is incorrect.

The remaining difference lies with his former units. The possibility then is that he was with the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons Yeomanry (number 2412), earning a 1915 star with them. He was then discharged as time expired, re-called under the MSA, joining the RFA with number 140437, transferring to the RWR as described in post #1, and finally being KiA on the 11/04/1917 (as per his 1915 medal roll, CWGC and SDGW records) with the 1st Bn RWR.

On the basis of all that, I would conclude the mystery is solved ........ (unless someone knows different and can add anything further).

Many thanks for your sleuthing - it's taught me to open all the records to see what is written on them before eliminating them as a possibility.

Regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

I think you have it. I've looked to see if there was an error with CWGC/SDGW and found nothing similar. The RFA number indicates enlistment between 07.12.15 and 11.12.15 according to SWB records, but that's all I could find.

Mike

• Admin

Thanks MIke.

I agree those enlistment dates are likely if he attested under the Derby Scheme. But he might have been called-up under the MSA.

Either way, he would have been either mobilised (under the Derby Scheme) or called-up (under the MSA) in April 1916, joining the No 1 RFA Depot at Newcastle (all that from other men joining with similar 140xxx RFA numbers).

Regards

Russ

I have merged the previous thread with this one for consistency.

Keith Roberts

Just as an extra - there is a photograph in this topic of the grave marker in Eccleshill where Herbert was commemorated by his parents. I have never succeeded in tracing his brother.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175479&hl=eccleshill

Keith

• Admin

Thanks Keith - I had completely forgot that I had previously asked about this man - still, it looks like it is now resolved since having the medal rolls more easily accessible. And thanks for the other link.

All in one place now - much better.

Regards

Russ