Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zandvoorde Church yard: no CWGC marker

bkristof

Doing our living history remembrance event for the first Ypres we noticed that the 4 10th hussar graves (Turnor) at the Zandvoorde churchyard are not indicated at all. No small indicator or arrow of the CWGC. In other villages like Boesinghe there is a marker on the cemetery wall.

Is it because there are only 4 graves? Or is it just forgotten???

They are certainly not forgotten and appear in all the records.

CWGC only put markers on locations with a reasonable number of burials. Churchyards and communal cemeteries with only a few are not always marked.

Also there is the potential problem of getting permission from landowners to erect such signs/plaques.

there is no problem with the landowners there...

so if we ask the CWGC, they maybe place one?

No. You will have to find out their reasons for not doing so already first.

If there are very few burials, they do not usually do this and they would not want to set a precedent. There may be legal issues of which you are not aware with regard to the site - you will have to ask.

They may do it or they may not. I suggest you contact the Area Office in Ypres to ask for their reasoning first.

Terry,

Am I correct in saying there must be a certain number of burials before the CWGC would erect a Cross Of Sacrifice?

George

The general rule is that there is a Cross for 40 or more burials and a Stone of Remembrance for 400 plus.

However, this is not a rigid rule and exceptions, both above and below these figures, can be found.

I asked the local cultural cancelor to ask it to the CWGC maybe that will do the trick????