Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alphabetical List of Books on the Great War?

Anneca

Does a list of titles of books that have been published relating to the Great War exist, either by title or author?

Anne

A. G. S. Enser " A Subject Bibliography of the First World War" published in 1979, though now dated and riddled with errors does list some 5,800 titles. Lengel's 'World War 1 Memories' from 2004 is very useful as it comments on each book & good old Cyril Falls 'War Books' of 1930 is still a good read.

Very good Mike but I wonder how many more have been published since 1922. I had made a note of some for my wish list for Christmas over the past months - the cat ate it and now I can only remember 6 out of perhaps 14.

Anne

Forgot to say the first one on my list was The Truce: The Day the War Stopped.

Edited by anneca

The cat ate it? In a lifetime spent co-habiting with cats, books and scribbled notes, I have never experienced this. They have weed and thrown-up on notes, but never eaten them.

To answer your question Anne, you could run searches on the IWM's book holdings, the British Library catalogue, and Google books. The Turner-Donovan lists are also absorbing, and not just for feline body fluids.

I remember a couple of years ago I looked into this a for something I was doing, and found that even there there were at least 28,000 individual works published since the end of the war. Must be many more by now.

Sue

Try http://www.copac.ac.uk/search

Subject: World War, 1914-1918

Year: 1974- [or whatever year is your cut-off, but remember to put the - immediately after].

Thank you seaJane - brilliant site and I reckon I'll find them there as I can remember some of the title words. Sue, even the 28,000 a few years ago shows the interest in the Great War. Thank you as well Kate.............and to explain, this precious list had been mistakenly crumpled up in a ball for the cat to play with and what he didn't eat he shredded! (I really do like the witty 'absorbing' lists to which you refer!)

Anne