Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charleville (Belgium)

Marco

Hello Terry,

Can you confirm that Charleville CC (Ardennes, Belgium) with aprox. 209 burials is missing from the CWGC database?

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

A bit puzzling. As far as I know there is no place called Charleville in Belgium.

Do you mean Charleroi ?

Or do you mean Charleville-Mézières ? (But this is in France, some 10 km from the Belgian-French border, near Sedan)

Aurel

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest :D. I'll explain myself first:

Some years back I decided I wanted to visit all 900+ 'major' cemeteries mentioned and described in 'The Silent Cities' by Sidney C. Hurst. This rather old book is the basis of my list. In years the list has shrunk and I now 'only' need to visit 75 cemeteries. To make visits easier I have copied the location information from the CWGC website in my list of 75 cemeteries. The questions arise from cemeteries I can not find in the CWGC database. Because I have a Excell file Terry kindly provided I can check if the spelling is ok, so that is not the problem.

Charleville (Ardennes): 'Silent Cities' page 206: "1,5 miles from Sta. on NW outskirts of town, 1/4 mile N. of Rocroi road. Charleville was occupied by Germans from Aug. 1914 to Nov. 1918 and Cem. was used by them for burials of POW. Records 175 uk, 2 sa, 1 french and 31 russian burials."

Regards,

Marco

Terry,

You are right. Almost. :D I explained 'Ardennes' as Belgium, but that could be France as well. Charleville is shown as a village to the North and adjoining Mezieres. Mezieres has it's own CC with CWGC plot though and Charleville should have it's own CWGC entry. They are two different cemeteries.

Regards,

Marco

It is not recorded as a cemetery in 'The White Cross Touring Atlas' which was published just after the war in the 1920s.

I have asked CWGC if they can help.

And no mention of CWGC cemeteries in neither Charleville nor Mézières in "CWGC - Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France" (the booklet with the Michelin maps).

The plots don't exist anymore ?

(There is a Mézières Communal Cemetery Extension southeast of Amiens (Mézières-en-Santerre), but that's another story of course.)

Aurel