Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Sergeant Andrew Duncan 1 Gordon Highlanders kia 14 November 1914

rolt968

In Memoriam

Lance Sergeant Andrew Duncan, 25 June 1880 to 14 November 1914, 6526, 1 Gordon Highlanders

He was born at Burnfoot, parish of Lochlee, Angus.

He is chronologically the first casualty on the Lochlee war memorial at Tarfside.

He was the younger son of Andrew and Isabella Duncan. (Isabella Duncan, a widow died on 25 September 1914.)

He was a recalled reservist.

Andrew Duncan had enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders on 9 September 1898 and subsequently served with both regular battalions. He received both South Africa medals.

He married Georgina Coutts Moir on 19 September 1905 in Edinburgh. They had five children, three born in India and the last two in Bonnybridge. The last was born in January 1914. One daughter died in Edinburgh in 1910 aged seven and a half months.

He completed his service with the colours on 31 October 1910 and became a reservist. He became a postman at Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire in January 1911.

He was mobilised at the beginning of August 1914 and landed in France on 13 August 1914 with 1 Gordon Highlanders. He was killed in action on 14 November 1914. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Le Touret memorial.

Georgina Duncan subsequently remarried. She died as a result of the combination of chronic malaria and premature labour in April 1920 aged 38.

Lance Sergeant Andrew Duncan's World War One medals were sent to his son William, then a boy sergeant at Queen Victoria School, Dunblane.

• 7 years later...

This is fascinating.I had no idea he was from Burnfoot where I lived for many years.An old Contemptible.His combat record would make interesting reading.Of course he was at Mons and evaded capture at Le Chateau and must have taken part in the battle of Le Bassee.As an aside I wonder which battalion he was with in the Boer war?

I will need to check his (very burnt) soldier's record but I think I have read my notes correctly:

He joined 1 Gordon Highlanders (in the UK) when he enlisted. He went with that battalion to South Africa in 1899.

He transferred to 2 Gordon Highlanders which was in India in 1905.

As you said that makes quite a combat record.

His record should say which clasps he had for the South Africa medal(s).

RM

Edited by rolt968