Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1883 revolver

Khaki

Here's a nice M1883 Erfurt revolver, 80% plus mirror blue finish with the original holster, revolver all matching. regiment marked to a artillery division light ammunition column. came with the personal card of the German officer with the name rank unit of the us soldier who brought it home as a war trophy. The German card I discovered rolled up tightly and tucked inside the holster ammunition pouch. The holster is also maker marked. Lanyard ring off camera, sorry.

post-29707-0-40588000-1415912036_thumb.j

Very nice

The 1883 Reich Revolver (and its brother the 1879 Reichs Revolver) had one interesting design feature - it lacked and ejector rod

to push the fired cases out for reloading

The Germans at first intended for the firer to remove the cylinder pin , about which the cylinder revolved and use it to remove the empty

shell cases

A rod was later included for this purpose

The rationale behind this unusual feature was that having to fire your revolver meant things were in extermis to have to resort to a last ditch weapon

If could not resolve the situation with 6 shots then was probably beyond saving........

The Reichs Revolver were used as a weapon for rear echelon troops . It turned up again in hands of Volksturm militia in closing days of WWII

Thank you for your reply and comments, Just for general information the German soldier (name withheld) survived the Great War and WW2 and became an important person in post ww2 Germany.

khaki

Someone I knew at a pistol club in the 1980s had one of these - I think he made cases for it from .44 Special or Magnum cases. IIRC has was pretty pleased with the results when he shot it.

Even for its time, it was a rather old-fashioned revolver - single action only, much slower to reload than a break-top, and I believe fitted with a safety catch, which most designers thought unnecessary on this type of arm. However, they were accurately and strongly made, and quite a few survive in excellent shape.

Regards,

MikB

Hello MikB,

The m1883 despite being obsolete (single action) when manufactured and having unnecessary design features was a robust revolver and was probably sufficient for those who were issued it. I would imagine it being useful for dispatching a suffering horse or mule. I used to see them around occasionally but not in the last twenty years. The holster is rarer than the revolver as is original ammunition. and I was lucky to locate this 'veterans war trophy' as an original set.

khaki

Hello MikB,

The m1883 despite being obsolete (single action) when manufactured and having unnecessary design features was a robust revolver and was probably sufficient for those who were issued it. I would imagine it being useful for dispatching a suffering horse or mule. I used to see them around occasionally but not in the last twenty years. The holster is rarer than the revolver as is original ammunition. and I was lucky to locate this 'veterans war trophy' as an original set.

khaki

No dispute there. It's true I haven't seen one around for a while and I don't even know if they're considered an obsolete calibre for UK legal purposes - though I'd imagine so. But, thinking about it, I think the guy I knew with one back in the day talked of getting an original holster for it as if it was a difficult long-term goal.

Regards,

MikB

• 3 weeks later...