Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brighton College Lieut. R G B Harvey

Guest woody & norman

Guest woody & norman

My son Woody is a pupil at Brighton College and we are researching a project about ex pupils killed in action during the Great War. we are looking for any information on Lieut. Robert G. B. Harvey, pupil at the college from 1906-1910. He was killed in France on Dec 25th 1917. He was in the Lincolnshire Regiment. I wonder if anyone has any information that could help us find out more about his family background, descendants, and his career in the army?

many thanks

Norman and Woody

Hi

Robert George Bosworth Harvey was born 3rd qtr 1894 @ London Thorpe, Lincolnshire (Birth Cert Vol 7a Page 491). Son of George W and Emma Father was a farmer He had 3 sisters. He died 25.12.17. 2nd Lt1/ 5th Batt TF Lincs Regt. Address when probate granted (1922) was Sutton House, Great Gonerby, Lincs.

Regards Barry

Photo with obituary in the Grantham Journal, 25.1.18 also on Ancestry, family tree with all details also.

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Again

He is recorded as Robert George Bosworth HARVEY on an individual War Memorial within St.Sebastian's Church, Great Gonerby. See" Google".

Regards Barry

Medal Index Card shows entered France 17.1.17, BW/VM K in A

W&N/N&W

Welcome to the Forum !

As I am a Harvey too I should look at his file for you next week at Kew and let you have the prime details therein !

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C701866

From Brighton College Magazine, April 1918, vol. XVI, No. 1:

Harvey, Robert G. B., Lieut. Lincolnshire Regt.

Killed December 25th, 1917

R.G.B. Harvey entered School House, May 1906 and left December 1910. On the outbreak of war he joined the Artists' Rifles and was gazetted from there to the Lincolnshire Regiment. He was killed on Christmas Day through the premature explosion of a rifle grenade. His father has received very many letters of sympathy from senior officers from which we may quote the following extract: "He was a fine officer, absolutely fearless; would go anywhere, and was never happy unless he was worrying the enemy. He had done some very fine patrol work. He went over on a raid with me in September and I cannot speak too highly of his conduct that night. We shall all miss his cheery presence among us, and all his brother officers were very fond of him."

From the Brighton College Register 1847-1922:

Harvey, Robert G. B. Born 5th Sept 1895. At Brighton College from Summer Term 1906 to Christmas, 1910. Lieut. Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 25th Dec. 1917. Memorial Panels in College Chapel.

From The Regimental Roll of Honour and War Record of the Artists' Rifles:

5178 Harvey, Robert George Bosworth, commissioned 2 June 1916, 5th Bn, Lincolnshire Regt.; wounded 27 October 1917. KIA 25 December 1917. (His regimental number indicates that he enlisted in the 3rd Battalion, Artists' Rifles, between 12 and 29 November 1915.

The photo is from the first-named source.

post-765-0-42678000-1415910241_thumb.jpg

My book covers Brighton and the Great War, funny enough that is it's title. I researched the men on the war memorial and added 100's of photos of the Fallen. I have the Brighton College Roll of Honour photos anyway but all the men who attended Brighton College are not covered in the book as many just went to college there although some stayed. I have a list of who went to Brighton College and covered on the memorial. Let me know what you need.....

The Brighton College Roll was published in the Brighton and Hove and South Sussex Graphic probably have the article, it was published periodical.

Let me know bit of a rant but can probably help with more that Lieut Harvey

Trevor author of Brighton and the Great War although need to update my sign off.

Physical copy in City Books in Hove, Waterstones and the Pavillion visitor centre

Hi

As rflory has indicated, Harvey was killed by the premature explosion of a rifle grenade. From the war diary the fatal event was in the morning. The grenade burst six foot from the muzzle causing Harvey to have his lung perforated.

chris

w&n

I have ten pages from the Lieutenant's service record from WO374/31735. They can be yours on receipt of an e-mail address by PM here.

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if you would know if someone I am researching attend Brighton College?

Lieutenant Cecil Valentine Samuel, 1st/8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Died on Thursday 4th October 1917, aged 28, Grave reference I. D. 30, Duhallow ADS.

Hope you might be able to look him up — if there is any information on the chap, it would be gratefully received!

Wilhlem

Your soldier died of wounds on 4 October1917,SDGW says he was 4 Battalion RWR.

Service file (not yet digital) at Kew under this link:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1083716

Lt Cecil Valentine Samuel is not in the Brighton College Register nor is he in the Brighton College War Record 1914-1919. Dick Flory

Many thanks for looking up the information on Valentine Samuel, most helpful. I am grateful for you taking the time to help.

Wilhlem

• 3 months later...

Woody

Better late than never,papers sent today !

From Brighton College Magazine, April 1918, vol. XVI, No. 1:

Harvey, Robert G. B., Lieut. Lincolnshire Regt.

Killed December 25th, 1917

R.G.B. Harvey entered School House, May 1906 and left December 1910. On the outbreak of war he joined the Artists' Rifles and was gazetted from there to the Lincolnshire Regiment. He was killed on Christmas Day through the premature explosion of a rifle grenade. His father has received very many letters of sympathy from senior officers from which we may quote the following extract: "He was a fine officer, absolutely fearless; would go anywhere, and was never happy unless he was worrying the enemy. He had done some very fine patrol work. He went over on a raid with me in September and I cannot speak too highly of his conduct that night. We shall all miss his cheery presence among us, and all his brother officers were very fond of him."

From the Brighton College Register 1847-1922:

Harvey, Robert G. B. Born 5th Sept 1895. At Brighton College from Summer Term 1906 to Christmas, 1910. Lieut. Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 25th Dec. 1917. Memorial Panels in College Chapel.

From The Regimental Roll of Honour and War Record of the Artists' Rifles:

5178 Harvey, Robert George Bosworth, commissioned 2 June 1916, 5th Bn, Lincolnshire Regt.; wounded 27 October 1917. KIA 25 December 1917. (His regimental number indicates that he enlisted in the 3rd Battalion, Artists' Rifles, between 12 and 29 November 1915.

The photo is from the first-named source.

Woody,

The 1895 birthdate is an error. The birth registry (BMD) for England and Wales confirms the 1894 birthdate cited by The Inspector.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commision states his age as 23, confirming the 1894 birthdate, and says that he was the

only son of George Wing Harvey and E.E. Harvey.

Cheers,

Trelawney