Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22 Signals Company, Labour Corps - Salonika

dmstallard

I am researching my family history. In particular my grandfather, Clarence Noel Stallard. I have found a medal record for him which states that he was a Corporal in the Royal Engineers no 54094 and the same rank in the Labour Corps no 595698. The Victory Medal roll no is LC/ 101B226, page 23024. There is a reference to 15 Star LC/ 108C2 page 5/51/43.

The reason I think he may have served in Salonika is that the Roll of Individuals entitled to a decoration quotes the following: RE 22 Sig.Coy 54094 Cpl Stallard Clarence Noel. Date of Disembarkation 595698 Cpl C.l 21.2.19. A search on Google seems to indicate that the 22 Signal Company of the RE served in Salonika.

My father always talked about his father being in Salonika and I believe he may amongst other things have been a despatch motor bike messenger. I must confess I do not understand how he could be in the Royal Engineers and the Signals Corps, apparently simultaneously, although I have read that the Labour Corps carried a lower status at the time.

From what I have heard so far from members of the forum the family story seems correct, and it is possible he was promoted to Corporal in the role of motorbike messenger.

I originally posted this topic on the general forum, and thanks to two members am reposting here for the benefit of anyone with particular knowledge of this theatre.

post-117832-0-19795900-1415885619_thumb.

My father always talked about his father being in Salonika and I believe he may amongst other things have been a despatch motor bike messenger. I must confess I do not understand how he could be in the Royal Engineers and the Signals Corps, apparently simultaneously, although I have read that the Labour Corps carried a lower status at the time.

Until 1921 signals was the remit of the RE. The Royal Signals formed in 1921 from the previous signal companys of the Royal Engineers. So in the great war message riders had RE capbadges and wore blue/white(the Royal Signals colours today) armbands.

With regards to the Labour Corps, not really lower in status? This was formed from men not fit for front line duty but could still serve the army in some way.