Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with cap badges please

Guest AngelaM

Hi

I'm researching the names on our village war memorial and those who also served. I have the attached photos which are not named.

Can anyone identify the regiments please from the badges and I might then be able to work out who they are!

Now - I admit photograph 2 is pretty awful but there is a badge on the cap....... (the photos hung in the village hall for years and some are very faded)

And photograph 3 - he has a S on his left collar - does that have any significance?

Thanks in anticipation.

Angela

post-117833-0-89654400-1415831622_thumb.

post-117833-0-57289300-1415831624_thumb.

post-117833-0-97791200-1415831625_thumb.

post-117833-0-78587000-1415831628_thumb.

Hi Angela,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think that the first could be Inniskilling Fusiliers, the second is too pixilated to tell anything at all, the third could be Royal Engineers and the fourth Bedfordshire Regt.

I am sure that someone else will be along soon to confirm or otherwise.

Hope this helps,

Robert

PS If you can get a better photo of the second photo then it may be possible to identify the badge.

Hi Angela

I think that the first chap may be in the Royal Marines Artillery rather than the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers as mentioned by Robert. I also agree that the last photo shows a member of the Bedfordshire Regiment.

I would not like to comment about the other two, due to the condition of the photos. Do you have any names for these men???

Sepoy

I too think that the larger photo shows a man of the Royal Marines Artillery. The collar badges, buttons and visible pocket all show that to be the case. The other two appear to be RE and Bedfordshire Regiment, as stated by Old Owl.

Maybe I can see a bugle horn of a light infantry regiment on the pixilated image. I think the 'S' on the collar is nothing more than a watermark. As for the other badges I agree with the above

Hi

Many thanks for help with identifying the cap badges - much appreciated.

I can now identify the soldiers as luckily there is only one serving in each of the regiments named.

The Marine is Sub Lt Carlton Charlton, commissioned 1917 into RNVR and served with 63rd RN Div Reserve, transferring to Drake Battalion in Jan 1918. He suffered GSW in March 1918 and was shippped home.

Royal Engineers photo is that of George Charles Lawrence, previously 1370 16th Rifle Brigade, later transferring as 276375 RE, serving as signaller in Ypres sector.

Beds Regiment soldier is possibly 25755 Herbert Chapman - but I can confirm this as descendants still live in the village.

I attach a slightly, bot only slightly less pixelated photograph 2. I agree that it could well be a light infantry badge - in which case it ought to be the Ox and Bucks LI as that is the only Light infantry regiment that any of the soldiers I'm researching served in.

Once again, many thanks for your help. It will be great to have the photographs included with the relevant soldier's stories in the book!

Angela

post-117833-0-42522900-1415913612_thumb.