Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Tripyer Bateson, died in Russia, 1919

BereniceUK

I came across this man on the war memorial at St Michael's on Wyre, Lancashire, today. On both the memorial and on the roll of honour inside the church he has the M.M. while the roll of honour records that he was in the Royal Field Artillery and that he was 'missing.' The memorial is inscribed that he died in Russia in 1919. He doesn't appear to be on either CWGC or SDGW.

Any suggestions? He's the only man on St Michael's memorial that I can't identify.

Check the MIC for 87564 Dvr John T Bateason MM RFA, looks like he Deserted 28/07/20 Medals Returned.

Possibly reissued 29/12/21

Sam

Most interesting, thank you. Ancestry has his middle name as 'Tripear.'

DSC08042.jpg

roll of honour.com web site refers to article in July 1919 in Preston Guardian of award of MM. for this man for the church.

Maybe worth a relook at article? Maybe search LG for award of MM - might give service no.?

Possibly not in SDGW as post 11/11/1918 - possibly not in CWGC as family did not return forms as he was 'missing'. A possible in from the cold candidate?

Stuart

Further to roughdiamonds post -

Roll shows him as remarks - previously claimed on Roll - 24766. Presumed died 30/11/1919 A. No.1042082. Rank Dvr RHA and RFA - John Tripear Bateason awarded British War and Victory Medal.

2nd entry on Roll with MM - Remarks - Deserted 28.7.20.

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart. I'll go down to Preston Library and look up the newspaper files for July through to December 1919.

The 1911 census has two possible John Batesons -

John Bateson. Born 1894 - Catteral. Registration District - Garstang. Parish - Inskip with Sowerby.

John Bateson. Born 1897 - Bilsborrow. Registration District - Garstang. Parish - Bilsborough.

Catterall is 5 miles north east of St Michael's. Bilsborrow is about 7 miles south east of St Michael's - the Barton, Bilsborrow & Myerscough war memorial has a J. Bateson in the These Also Served inscriptions, and a Private William Bateson, East Lancs., among the Dead.

There's no-one with the surname Bateason in the 1911 census that I could find.

Further to roughdiamonds post -

Roll shows him as remarks - previously claimed on Roll - 24766. Presumed died 30/11/1919 A. No.1042082. Rank Dvr RHA and RFA - John Tripear Bateason awarded British War and Victory Medal.

2nd entry on Roll with MM - Remarks - Deserted 28.7.20.

Stuart

Stuart

You have them the wrong way round, the one showing him as Deserted (24766) is the 1st Medal Roll entry and the one lined through on his MIC, it also has the Army numbers listed concurrently as the original would, the one showing him as presumed Dead (50869) is the 2nd entry and the new Ref on his MIC, it also doesn't list numbers concurrently on the Roll.

It reads to me they thought he'd Deserted but later came to the conclusion he'd Died and reissued the medals 29/12/21, the new MIC entry reads to me "BW&V Medal Restor or Reston" then the new reference.

Sam

Out of curiosity, were there any recorded instances of British servicemen deserting in Russia through sympathy for the Bolshevik Revolution?