Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Propellers stuck together with ... cheese ?

Jarvis

I was quite surprised to find this article in my local digitised archives (18 September 1918).

Was this a universal solution ?

Were there any other types of glue(s) used to laminate the props ? And German props would be laminated with ?

post-15884-0-68457600-1415654512_thumb.p

Casein glue was the cabinet maker's glue of choice until well into the 60s. Not sure if it is still used or even available. I have never heard of it being called cheese glue though.

Casein is the cheese protein in milk so I suppose it has the same relationship to cheese as fish glue does to fish?

In the back of my mind something is telling me that cheese and hot water were used in medieval times to make casein glue, and that some Arab tribes used to soak leather in milk and hot water as a glue when making making shields and laminated leather armour. I don't know if it is certain what the Romans used - there are only a couple of surviving Roman legionary shields and I think they were made using animal glue.

The WW2 Mosquito was initially put together with casein based glue, later moving onto formaldehyde resins. Whether as a result of or in anticipation of problems in hot climates I'm not sure.

You used to be able to buy buttons made from the stuff too.

Adrian