Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Grandad

Mafimish

I am hoping that someone can tell me about the uniform my Grandad is wearing. I didn't know until recently that he had fought in France. Mum has Alzheimer's and cannot remember his regiment. She thinks Northumberland. I think that's strange as we are all from Norfolk. His name is Thomas William Batterbee, usually known as Billy. I cannot trace his name in WW1 records. Hope you can help.

post-117495-0-31402400-1415652745_thumb.

Not Northumberland Fusiliers. Possibly Northamptonshire Regiment, if I'm looking at the cap badge correctly.

Have you checked medal index cards ?

And often where you lived had no bearing on who you joined

Sorry the photo isn't sharper. I didn't know about medical records. He was wounded in the leg, which is why he was sent home and survived. And why I am here today, of course. Do you have a link for the place to search medical records?

Not Northumberland Fusiliers. Possibly Northamptonshire Regiment, if I'm looking at the cap badge correctly.

I would agree with the Northamptonshire Regiment:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/northamptonshire_regiment_badge1.jpg

Not medical records but the medal index cards here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

I can find two Thomas Batterbees so far but may have missed him if he signed up as William, or was mis-spelt.

Hi

There is a William Batterbee of Northamptonshire Regiment Private 18658 - Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal and a 15 Star- entered France 8.12.15 and put in Class Z reserve 22.2.19 . Cant see any service records.

I can also see a William Thomas Battersby?

Also can you tell us when he was born?

regards

Robert

Thanks for that information Robert and for all your help. He was born in 1891 in Norfolk. I've only just found his birth date - it's shown incorrectly in many places.

Hi

So I can find these on Ancestry -

Birth

Name:

Thomas William Batterbee

Registration Year:1891

Registration Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar

Registration district:Aylsham

Inferred County:

Norfolk

Death

Name:

Thomas William Batterbee

Birth Date:19 Jan 1891

Date of Registration:Mar 1971

Age at Death:80

Registration district:Norwich Outer

Inferred County:Norfolk

Christening

Name:Thomas William Batterbee

Baptism Date:11 Feb 1891

Baptism Place:Heydon, Norfolk, England

Father: John Batterbee

Mother: Rebecca

and marriage

Name:Thomas W Batterbee

Spouse Surname:George

Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1935

Registration district:Smallburgh

Inferred County:Norfolk

Are they all right?

Cant see anything for census (without going deeper- just having a quick look)?

No family trees either.

Still no military.

Did he use another name or change the spelling of his surname?

regards

Robert

Definitely Northamptonshire Regiment.

There is a William "Batterby" born about 1891 at Heydon near Aylsham on the 1911 Census - he is a farm labourer working for (and lodging with) the Green family at East End, Wells.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&h=53957513&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2352

In 1901 he seems to be shown as Willie "Barterter" (per transcription, it is Batterbee when you look on the original knowing the name!), age 10, born about 1891 at Wood Dalling, son of Rebecca Batterbee (widow, "Chairwoman", age 43, born at Edgefield). Siblings are Daisy (17), Jessie (13), Eva (12), Harry (8) and Maud (5), all born at Wood Dalling.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&MS_AdvCB=1&db=uki1901&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&gss=angs-d&gsfn=willie&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=batterter&gsln_x=XO&msbdy=1891&msbdy_x=1&dbOnly=_F00079A7%7c_F00079A7_x%2c_F0005DFC%7c_F0005DFC_x%2c_83004006%7c_83004006_x%2c_F0005DFB%7c_F0005DFB_x%2c_F0007AD6%7c_F0007AD6_x%2c_F0006867%7c_F0006867_x%2c_F0005C4F%7c_F0005C4F_x%2c_F0005E11%7c_F0005E11_x%2c_F0005906%7c_F0005906_x&uidh=5k3&msbdp=1&pcat=35&fh=0&h=10430521&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

In 1891 the family are at Heydon:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=uki1891&MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=Thomas+W&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=Battersby&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=5k3&cp=11&pcat=35&fh=2&h=22996302&recoff=&ml_rpos=3

John Battersby, age 40, born at Burnham Thorpe, bricklayer
Rebecca Battersby, age 32, born at Edgefield
Ann M Battersby, age 13, born at Dudley, Northumberland
Jacob Battersby, age 9, born at Wood Dalling
Daisey Battersby, age 7, born at Wood Dalling
Sarah J Battersby, age 5, born at Wood Dalling
Jessie M Battersby, age 3, born at Wood Dalling
Eva E Battersby, age 1, born at Wood Dalling
Thomas W Battersby, age 2 months, born at Heydon

If this is him, it strengthens the likelihood of him signing up as William rather than Thomas since he is referred to as Willie and William as he grows up.

There is another William Batterbee of the same age born at Wormegay near King's Lynn (he was in the 21st Lancers in 1911), but I presume that that is not the right man.

18658 William Batterbee of the Northamptonshire Regiment is one of the men of the Regiment who has no battalion shown on his medal roll. However, from the date of embarkation (8-12-1915) I am pretty certain he served with the 1st Battalion (all other men going overseas on that date went to 1st Battalion). Date of enlistment would be approximately mid-May 1915 (about 18/19th May). He would have trained with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Gillingham prior to overseas service. Please bear in mind that he may have moved battalions during the war, so his service may not have just been with the 1st Battalion.

Harry Batterbee of this family has service records under John Henry Batterbee and John Harry Batterbee - he served in the 29th Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment and then the Labour Corps. His service was in the UK mainly with Agricultural Companies of various units.

Steve.

Wow, thank you Steve. My goodness you've done well. I found his birth and death, but could not trace christening or marriage. I have a family tree on Genes Reunited. I think the general feeling that he used his second name is right. He was referred to as Billy as far as I know. His birth date, names, and spelling of surname seem to change too. Sadly, I hardly knew him. He had a stroke when I was about 10 and after sat silently in his chair each day. Now I know that he had a tough life. If I could only go back to give him a hug and a kind word.

I will add the details you've found to my family tree and the quest to find his military record will go on.

Sorry, should acknowledge Robert as you found christening and marriage. I really appreciate all this information.

Bearing in mind the picture and cap badge and the use of the name William, I think the Northamptonshire Regiment man with No. 18658 is by far the most likely, but no proof I'm afraid.

Steve.

Hello I have a fairly large collection of pictures of the 7th Northamptonshire regiment, could someone please let me know if they're interested, and how and where I might share them?

Regards

• 9 years later...

Very embarrassed that it’s taken me almost 10 years to catch up with this thread. Thanks for the amount of information you have provided.