Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Ordnance

OyiboJohn

In 'The Story of the 2/4th. Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry' there are quite a few references to the enemy 'sending salvoes' of 5.9's or 4.2's (one of which ended the war for a great uncle in France). Can anyone advise as to what type of guns these were fired from. I do not think they were mortars as they seem to relate to longer distance shelling.

As German field pieces caliber was measured in cm/mm's, the reference would have been used as a comparison to the shell explosions (perhaps) that the author was familiar with, what they were exactly I don't know but I am sure that our 'gunner' members will have an answer for you.

khaki

4.2 and 5.9 were approximations, in inches, to enemy field guns whose calibres (if correctly identified) were 10.5cm/105mm and 15cm/150mm.

Five-nines were German 15cm rounds (= approx. 5.9"), and 4.2s were 10,5cm (usually called 4.1s in a Naval contest, but strictly 4.1339").

There were a variety of guns in both calibres - Feldhaubitzen (field howitzers), infanteriegeschuetze (infantry cannon) etc., and I believe occasionally Naval guns (long-barrelled, high velocity, long range) for counterbattery work. There may have been mortars, but amongst British troops the terminology would usually have referred to field and heavier artillery.

Regards,

MikB

Thanks Guys. Guess it had be something about calibres but couldn't equate to mm's quoted in German Artillery pieces. Not as heavy as 'Big Berthas' @ 419mm!