Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) 11th Battalion - tracing battle and inj

McCrystalHarrison

With some help I have found medal index card and medal rolls of my grandad.

From them I've found that he was in the Kings (Liverpool Regiment) 11th Battalion.

His records all state he 'first entered theatre of war' or 'landed' on the 19th May 1915, western front/france.

I was told the 11th battalion was in the 14th (Light) Infantry. Google tells me the 11th battalion was a Pioneers unit but that they were involved in front line battle. I'd like to confirm these things and understand a bit better.

I can't find evidence that the battalion landed on the 19th of may. Its only a slight difference but they seem to have landed on the 30th of may. I am wondering why this discrepancy.

It makes sense that they did end up in frontline combat because my grandad said to my dad that his trench was over run during a battle and he was bayoneted. He had a large scar.

I wonder if there is a way to find out what battle definitely matches the one my grandad was injured in? Or a way to narrow when my grandad was injured so I can trace it to a particular battle that the 11th battalion were involved in.

Thanks in advance, Angela.

Were you looking at the Naval & Military Archive War Diaries Click . I have had a look at the 11th King's (Liverpool Regt) Diary Click.

I'm not certain, but I think the first page, that mentions landing at Havre on 19th May, is the 14th Signal Coy RE Diary, it may have been put in the wrong file. So the LLT may be correct with the 30th? Someone with a bit more knowledge than I will be able to help further?

Mike

Angela,

The 11th Kings regiment arrived at Folkestone on the 20th May, 1st half battalion at midnight 2nd half of the battalion at 00.40am, and embarked on H.M. Princess Victoria which left Folkestone at 1am arriving in Boulogne at 2.45am. On disembarking the battalion formed up and marched to Ostrohove Rest Camp which it reached at 4.10am, they left camp at 10.30am and marched to Point Des Briques Railway station.

When was your grandad injured?? and his name??

Attached is part of the Divisional travel arrangements.

Andy

post-1871-0-76739100-1415619557_thumb.jp

Mike,

Looks like another case of mixed up papers, the 14th Div Signal Coy certainly did arrive at Havre, so glad i photographed all the 14th Div before this errrrrrrm foul up started, mind you it did take hours sometimes sitting there putting all the diaries together in a proper order.

Andy

Thanks for your help!
I have a page where I am collating the info I find so that when I understand it all, I can summarise it nicely. Right now the military section is choppy but includes everything I've found so far http://harrisonmccrystal.wordpress.com/harrison/william-james-04-sept-1895-17-apr-1960/

just scroll down to the military section ^_^

Hi Andy. So the LLT date 30th is wrong?

I might just start another thread where pals can mention misplaced files. I've found a few. Not blaming it on N & MP, I think they have just copied what they got. (although you could argue they should have checked it before scanning?

Mike

Angela,

As you have his papers is there a wounded date there. They were Divisional troops rather than brigaded troops however they did see action. If you have a date then I can place on the forum what happened on that day for you. Nice site, still some work to go but nice!!

Mike,

There was a thread sometime ago concerning this, some put up the details but little seem to be done regarding corrections. Yes the LLT date is incorrect, transport for the 11th Kings went over on the 18th battalion as above.

Andy

11th Kings

On the 30th May they were in Vlamertinghe

post-1871-0-10619700-1415622376_thumb.jp

Angela,

In December 1915 the 14th Division ordered a roll of everyone present, as of this date your grandfather was in "A" Company

Very nice Stephen.

Andy

post-1871-0-28193200-1415623781_thumb.jp

I've just looked through the transcription of the war diary (wow).
I don't know when grandad was injured. But his injury was apparently obtained when a trench he was actively fighting in, was over run. As a pioneer this circumstance will hopefully be traceable as they were not often frontline fighters. On first scan of the diary transcription I'd say battles in late 1917-1918 were likely where he was injured - as it is noted the germans made ground and the british troops kept having to back up. That ties with grandad being bayoneted, rather than injured by a shell. All conjecture on my part right now.
Thanks so much for all this help! I sat with my dad (77) and read him the highlights (not really highlights) of the war diary. He too is grateful to learn more about his own dads experience.

Oh in the December 19 division roll call - what do the numbers to the left of the name mean?
Its just I thought my grandads was 12159 but that number appears next to a different person.

You're probably right about the dates.

He was included in a list of Wounded published in the Liverpool Daily Post on 12th November 1917

post-1356-0-32787400-1415634479_thumb.pn

How sickening to read what they went through. The acknowledgement from the Canadian officer (cant recall what he was right now) seemed especially heartfelt.

• 1 year later...

I have read the above thread with much interest and the transcript of the war diary is fascinating.

I am researching 11609 Pte William Carter, he enlisted in 11 Bn in Aug 1914 at Seaforth. He was killed in action on 4 Oct 1918 whist serving with the 13 Bn and buried at Ribecourt Railway cemetery.

Can anyone provide any info on William, eg the Coy he was in or when he might have transferred to 13 Bn.

Regards