Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SGT John Dunn

Barney09

Hello All.

Can anyone help with the second hand information I have regarding my Grandfather.He is the one seated in the photo. I know he was in India when his brother Herbert Dunn (Durham Light Infantry)was killed on 16 December 1917 in Belgium.

The information I have of his army numbers are possibly 7-35363 or t-35363.

also possibly s j t john dunn dvr john dunn asc? 1914-1918 and on 1 medal also the bar Iraq.

Many Thanks

post-108130-0-73921100-1415559786_thumb.

Army Service Corps sounds possible not sure of any links to East Yorkshire.... Anyone know if the ASC were in India and Turkey... I believe he was wounded at Gallipoli..

Thanks...

• 3 months later...

Hello All,.

I have now confirmed John Dunn was in Army Service Corps with a service number of T/35363 Driver

East Yorkshire Regiment 29651 Serjeant

East Yorkshire Regiment 4334605 Serjeant

Whys does he then have other service numbers when he is in the East Yorkshire Regiment? I am trying to find his service records but I can't seem to find anything with my Ancestry.com access. Can anyone see anything and copy to me from Forces War Records. All help appriciated...

Army numbers that a man took with him regardless of posting on came in in 1920. These were seven digits and in his case the 4334605 number is one of these. Before that date each Regiment or Corps issued there own numbers with the man getting a new number each time he transferred. His records are likely to be held by the MOD rather than on Ancestry.

Steve.

I have just had a look at the service record of Herbert Dunn. This shows John Dunn listed as brother of Herbert Dunn with the address of "East Ridge Barracks, Ahmednagar" on or around 20 October 1919. Birth registration and 1901 Census show this date of birth as in the latter few months of 1897 at Huntsham, Devon.

I note that there is a picture of him in tropical climes with a solar topee/ pith helmet on one Ancestry tree. He is sporting sergeants stripes and the sash also worn by sergeants. The sergeants stripes seem only lightly tacked to his sleeve so he may have only just got them. He is wearing the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

The medal card for 29651 / 4334605 Sergeant John Dunn an address of 3 Prescott Cottage, Tiverton. Is this a known address? If this the right man then the presence of the 1914-15 Star (issued to 29651 John Dunn on 14 November 1919) and BWM/VM (issued to 29651 John Dunn of the 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment on 8 May 1920) would date the photograph to after May 1920. Note that though his medal roll states 1st Battalion, with whom he presumably served in the war, it was in fact the 2nd Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment that was in India in 1919 and Iraq in 1920.

Steve.

It looks like 29651 John Dunn may have been part of a group of men transferred from the Horse Transport Army Service Corps in France to the 1st Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment on 26 November 1917, joining the 1st Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment on 30 November 1917.

(See records of 29625 Thomas Edward Birkett and 29682 Andrew Arthur Hewish for example)

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...