Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Evans recovered battlefield dead

Mat50

Please can I ask for advice and information about how to find records of a soldier who recovered the battlefield dead. His name was Robert Evans born 1892 in Llandrillo, Meirioneth. Died february 1953. Son of William and Margaret Evans, Ty Isa, Llandrillo. He survived a bombing but the horse was killed. This is the only information I have .

Many thanks

Cannot help you, but I do appreciate what Robert Evans did. He was invaluable to those who fell in The Great War.

It's an unfortunate fact that we can usually find more about the dead of WW1 than those who survived!

We can probably locate the family history side of things, but being able to identify which Robert Evans in the Army records (such as may exist) is going to need more work.

Do you have ANYTHING of his, letters, WW1 photo(s) hopefully with a cap badge and details of any stripes or other clues on his uniform, medals with an inscription on the rim etc?

Local newspaper archives might help identify the Robert Evans you need, failing that, perhaps the CWGC may have records of men that helped the Graves Registration Unit clearing the battlefields of the dead.

As shelley says, particularly today, there may be many families who owe the dignity of a named (or at least a Known Unto God) grave to your Robert.

With so little information about his war time service and such a common name I think the forum might struggle to help - hopefully I am wrong as the risks the men took to recover the fallen and wounded were so high that they should be remembered.

I found the following from the 1901 and 1911 census records, I expect you know it but its the best I can do for you I am afraid.

1911 census
Address: Branas Ucha Llandrillo Corwen Registration District: Corwen
Sub District: Corwen Civil Parish: Llandrillo

Ellis Ellis H 50 1861 Male Head Married 22 Farmer Llanfachreth, Merioneth
Ellis Dorothy 51 1860 Female Wife Married 22 Llandderfel, Merioneth
Ellis Gwen C 18 1893 Female Daughter Single Farmer's Daughter Working On Farm Corwen, Merioneth
Hughes Mary C 19 1892 Female Servant Single General Servant (Domestic) Llandefel, Merioneth
Edwards Evan 28 1883 Male Servant Single Farm Labourer Llandrillo, Merioneth
Evans Robert 19 1892 Male Servant Single Waggoner On Farm Llandrillo, Merioneth
Jones Robert 18 1893 Male Servant Single Waggoner On Farm Llandrillo, Merioneth
Lloyd Robert 53 1858 Male Servant Single Waggoner On Farm Llanfor, Merioneth

1901 census
Address: Ty Isa Registration District: Bryn Saint

Evans William 48 1853 Head Cattleman On Farm Llansilen, Denbighshire
Evans Margaret 42 1859 Wife Llandderfel, Merioneth
Edward David 13 1888 Son In Law Llandrillo, Merioneth
Evans Robert 9 1892 Son Llandrillo, Merioneth
Evans Henry R 6 1895 Son Llandrillo, Merioneth
Evans Margaret 5 1896 Daur Llandrillo, Merioneth
Evans Humhrey 2 1899 Son Llandrillo, Merioneth

I thought it would be hard to find him, but as there are so many knowledgeable people on the forum it was worth asking. The only info I have is what you found Evan L . One story is he was due leave and on his last mission he was bombed, nobody though he would survive but out of the dust and smoke walked Robert, obviously protected by the horses. This man was a true hero

Sadly as Kevin said finding out about the dead is easier than those that survived as so many records were lost in WWII.

IF you live near Llandrillo it might be worth checking the church and village hall to see if it has a Roll of Honour listing those that fought and survived, as many small villages do, IF you find one with luck it might give more information such as rank and Regiment.

Robert Evans, Ty isaf, Llandrillo was Pte 17977 in RWF. Enlisted middle November 1914 and went to France with 13th Bn (as part of 38th Div) in Dec 1915. He hasn't turned up on any casualty lists but I haven't got them all.

Here he is amongst a list of local men serving. Nil further to take things forward.

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/4008971/4/ART18

Wounded 1917

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/4009664/0/ART6

(as it happens the couple of months period which I am lacking wounded lists!)

I trust you have knowledge of Gods Language <grin> For those that do not the article contains one sentence about him which says he has been wounded.

Hywyn. Very well done on finding him.

Campaign Medal Rolls 1914-1919

Prime Unit Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Medal Awarded British War Medal and Victory Medal
Forename Robert
Surname Evans
Number 17977
Rank Private.
Previous Service 13/R.W. Fus. Pte. 17977

Medal Awarded 1914-15 Star
Date of Disembarkation 01/12/15
Theatre of War 1 (France & Flanders)
Remark Demob. 16-2-19

For the heathens out there that do not know "Gods Language" (to quote Hwyn) -

The day before word came that Private Robert Evans , Tyisa, was wounded

• 1 year later...
Guest Llechwedd

Robert Evans was my Grandfather, here is a photo of him with his half brother I think. He is on the right.

Until I saw this post I did not know that this was what he did during the War. My father told me that Robert was determined that none of his own sons would go to War during WWII, and because they were farmers and some were young enough, he was able to keep all four of them at home. How did you find out that this was what he did Mat50? I have the battalion diaries, but have not sat down and gone through them all. I would be very grateful for any information you have.

post-126872-0-89914600-1454921771_thumb.

LLechwedd

Welcome to the forum. Thanks you for the photo

Let me help you here, photo right way up

photo2.jpg