Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE SKY THEIR BATTLEFIELD II - The Updated and Expanded 2014 Edition

fetubi

The rather large reference book I wrote 20 years ago on the first air war has had all its original content thoroughly updated and expanded, so that it now tells the stories of 16,800 individual WW1 air personnel.

Almost 6,000 entries and textual sections of the original book have been expanded or newly added. At the core of the work remains the recording of every casualty sustained by all British, Commonwealth, and American airmen due to enemy action during the fighting, and thousands of these records are expanded. To these, all non-flying battlefield casualties in theatre have been added.

Additionally, there are now 3,250 links suggested between Allied air fighting losses and German Jagdstaffel and Flak claims, across all Fronts. This amounts to 1,300 more links than were compiled for my original 1995 book.

The expanded edition also incorporates a new Accidents Addendum. This adds the details of around 4,500 air personnel, on all active fronts, between 1912 and 1919, and covers 3,270 further accidents or mishap not previously included. All new material, including that in the two vast Name Indexes, is identified to aid research.

There are 289 mostly new photographs, nine new or updated appendices, and well over half a million words describing the British, Commonwealth and American fighting in the air, with entire sections re-written. Many superb friends have helped, and literally thousands of new sources have been found and incorporated.

To see and find out more, visit the website I’ve built about my project, at www.theskytheirbattlefield2.com

Trevor

Trev,

Looks good.

I was wondering if you include those non Air force casualties as a resault of air action, eg bombed by an aircraft?

My DB (Austrlian LH soldiers in France and Palestine) included a large number of men bombed by air attack during the war if you need it?

S.B

Hi Steve,

Thanks mate.

What I have now included are the names of hundreds of personnel who were injured, wounded or killed as a result of enemy bombing raids on squadron air fields and RFC and RAF depots.

Additionally, all the men from Corps units wounded or killed while out operating with artillery batteries are also incorporated into The Sky Their Battlefield II.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Trevor

I have ordered the book as I use the first edition a lot as well. I would hope there is a index on the place names?

557,684 words! No space for even another paragraph, in the end!

The problem with a Location Index is that some places would have had three or four hundred entries for them - e.g. Cambrai, St Quentin etc - probably not a lot of use. But at least I now know I've got all their spellings spot on!

Thanks for ordering the book. Hope you find it really useful.

Trevor

Arh - The master strikes again. Santa is going early this year.

Well done Trevor - have ordered a copy and know it will be worth every penny and more.

Simon

Hi Graeme,

Sorry to hear about this - a lot of people have been getting through on the C&C site without problems and buying copies.

I've reported it to the webmaster and he'll have a look and get back to me.

The other option always open to you and anyone else is to get it directly through me if want, via my website. I've been sending copies out since Friday!

Trevor

Hi again Graeme,

Cross and Cockade International are being typically helpful and quick, and have confirmed you should be ok now - something about needing to confirm your email, which they've now done manually their end.

They've said if you or anyone else encounters any sort of a problem purchasing my book or any others on their site, then the best solution is to email webmaster@crossandcockade.com direct and you'll get immediate help to sort out any problems you've got.

Having said that, sorry you had any hiccups.

Cheers,

Trevor

Trev,

I wonder if you record these losses that I am looking at.

It involed a raid by reported one plane possibly a AEG from FA 300 around Shellal 17-4-17 at 2nd Gaza.

reported very but 7 killed and 13 wounded appears in the records but a check finds others not mentioned so far I have these in total?

KILLED

AUSTIN Charles David 1637 Pte 12 LHR 6R tos 10-15 to AProvC Cairo 7-16 to MMP 2 LH Bde HQ 2-17 died in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine (Boer War 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards)

KEMKEMIAN Armenac N/R Native Egyptain Army EATC att 2 LH Bde HQ supply sect died in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine

THOMSON Robert Percy 433 Cpl 2 LHFA Tos Cook B Sect WIA 10-9-15 wrist shrapnel at Dawkins Point near Victoria Gully to T/Sgt 11-15 (G) to Sgt att 2 LH Bde HQ? died in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine

THORPE Herbert Mapleton 141 Dvr 1 LH Bde Trn 5Co AASC to 2 LH Bde HQ Supply sect died in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine

USSHER Leo Augustus Francis 1526 Pte 6 LHR 11R tos RHQ 12-15 att 2 LH Bde supply sect 4-17 died in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine

Wounded and died of wounds

TWIST William George 1348 Pte 05 LHR 10R ToS 2-16 to Spr 2 LH Sig Troop 11-16 att 2 LH Bde HQ WIA 17-4-17 head in air attack at Shellal buried Beersheba War Cemetery Palestine (Boer War British RFA 8 years in Africa)

O'REILLY William Patrick 1082 Dvr 2 LH Bde Trn 6Co AASC to Cpl 2 LH Bde supply sect WIA 17-4-17 buttock & leg in air attack at Shellal buried Deir El Belah War Cemetery Palestine brother Hugh 8Bn

Wounded

EASTERBROOK Claude Cadman 32 RSM 7 LHR RHQ prom 2/Lt B Sqn 6-15 recom - for his actions at Lone Pine Aug 1915 & for his command on the rear guard at Ryries Post 19/20-12-15 (G) prom Capt 2ic B Sqn 3-16 prom staff Anzac MD HQ 11-16 to staff Capt 2 LH Bde HQ 3-17 MC - for his work at 1st & 2nd Gaza WIA 17-4-17 neck by bomb in air attack at Shellal prom Maj OC A Sqn 10-17 DSO - for his actions on the Hebron road at Beersheba 31-10-17 and for his work at Khuweilfeh along with his actions at Ebdis 8-11-17 MID - for his actions at Amman 28-3-18 prom Bde Maj 2 LH Bde HQ 9-18 (A&I staff att MG Sgt 7 LHR 1914 CMF to QM Hon Maj AIC 1920 to Bde Maj 1 Cav Bde 1925-29 to QM AASC 1 Div 1929-30 later WWII T/LtCol to Hon/Col DQMG AHQ MBE MSM LS&GCM retired 6-9-49)

ELLIOTT William Arthur 250 Pte 6 LHR B Sqn Tos 8-15 WIA 12-8-15 arm reported hit with Lt Lang & 3 others in trenches Southern Sect No 1 at Ryries Post (G) to Dvr 6-16 att 2 LH Bde Supply sect 10-16 WIA 17-4-17 R/buttock in air attack at Shellal disch 26-2-18

EVERITT Ernest Charles 665 Pte 2 LH Bde HQ HQ batman (G) att NZMR 1-16 to Imperial School of Instr 1-16 rtn 2 LH Bde HQ 10-16 WIA 17-4-17 R/leg & shoulder one of 13 wounded and 7 killed when bombed in air attack outside Shellal T/att Anzac MD HQ 8-17 (British 13th Hussars 3 years)

PERGER Alfred Garnet 291 Pte 2 VS to 2 MVS 3-16 to 7 MVS 3-16 WIA 17-4-17 R/leg in air attack in 2 LH Bde HQ at Shellal (CMF 1 year)

MILLS George 480 Dvr 2 LHFA tos brakeman No 1 Transport wagon to Cpl 10-15 (G) WIA 17-4-17 face/mouth, L/shoulder & buttock/hip bomb in air attack at Shellal disch 27-10-17

RATCLIFF John Watts 567 Pte 2 LHFA 3R Tos 5-15 (G) to Dvr 6-16 WIA 17-4-17 head & L/arm reported Sgt Thomson killed and five wounded by bomb in air attack at Shellal att 7 LHR 3-18 to 6 LHR 6-18 T/att 2 ASH 7-18 to L/Cpl 8-18 to Cpl 10-18 att 05 LHR 11-18 to L/Sgt 3-19

MANLEY William 668 Pte 2 LH Bde HQ HQ remain Egypt WIA 17-4-17 L/knee & shoulder in air attack at Shellal to ADS 10-17 disch 27-4-18 MU old wound brother Thomas 18Bn

VIVASH Albert 846 Pte 8 LHR 4R tos B Sqn 5-15 shown in Simpson WIA 28-6-15 reported WIA 30-6-15 shock & concussion reported 6 killed and 12 wounded during attack by the 18th Turkish Regt at the Nek (G) to 2 LHFA 9-16 to Dvr 3-17 WIA 17-4-17 L/hand bomb reported Sgt Thomson killed and five wounded by bomb in air attack at Shellal to ACFA 11-17 to 14 AGH 2-18 rtn Dvr 2 LHFA 2-19 T/att 4 LH Moblie Column 5-19

NAYLOR Clifton William 963 CQMS 2 LH Bde Trn 6Co AASC to S/Sgt 2 LH Bde Supply sect WIA 17-4-17 leg in air attack at Shellal prom 2/Lt 33Co Anzac MDT 8-17 to Requisition officer 1 LH Bde HQ 12-17 rtn 33Co 12-17 att Transport officer 32Co 4-18 rtn 12-18 prom Capt 12-18 (ASC CMF 2 years)

WILLIAMS Thomas John 1273 Pte 05 LHR 9R Tos 2-16 T/att 2 LH Bde Supply sect WIA 17-4-17 L/shoulder in air attack at Shellal to C Sqn D Troop 6-17 to T/Cpl 3-19 brother Bart 5 LHR

MARSHALL Sidney George 1335 Pte 05 LHR 10R Tos 1-16 to 2 LH Bde HQ 3-17 WIA 17-4-17 L/shoulder & leg bomb in air attack at Shellal rtn C Sqn? /05 LHR 1-18 killed on patrol with Maj Bolingbrooke and Pte Wright MIA in Lt Fredericks Troop at Shunet Nimrin near Wadi Hajla near Ghoraniyeh buried Jerusalem War Cemetery Palestine

CROWE Joseph William 1008 Dvr 2 LH Bde Trn 6Co AASC (G) to L/Cpl 1-16 WIA 17-4-17 back & R/shoulder bomb reported in air attack at Shellal to L/Cpl Dvr 38Co Aust MDT 9-17 disch 3-9-18 MU

HANSON Harold 9913 Pte 2Co AASC 17R tos 2 LH Bde Sup sect (6Co AASC) 7-16 WIA 17-4-17 back bomb reported bombed in air attack at Shellal to 26 D/US 6-17 to 32Co Anzac MDT 10-17 to UK leave married Ella Bermingham at Woolwich UK 6-6-19 Ex 7R/2Co AASC 1 Div Trn (6875) disemb Melbourne 20-8-15 relist

DAVIS John Charles 592 Pte 2 VS 13R Tos 3-16 to 7 MVS 3-16 to L/Cpl 12-16 to Cpl 2-17 WIA 17-4-17 head bomb reported in air attack at Shellal rtn 5-17 to Sgt 10-18 to NME UK

O'DWYER Dennis 1999 Pte 2 Remts 7 Sqn to 7 MVS 3-17 WIA 17-4-17 arm bomb reported 2 LH Bde lost 6 killed and 12 wounded in air attack at Shellal

I still can't confirm what aircraft and crew dropped this bomb?

Cheers

S.B

Morning Trevor

many thanks, I can confirm I have had an e-mail from C&C confirming registration.

Strange I could not get anywhere, even the registration e-mail I received was only a part e-mail with no links etc.

Anyway, alls well,

Cheers,

Graeme

Excellent news Trevor, have sent you a mail via your web site.

Regards

Peter

Trev,

I wonder if you record these losses that I am looking at.

It involed a raid by reported one plane possibly a AEG from FA 300 around Shellal 17-4-17 at 2nd Gaza.

reported very but 7 killed and 13 wounded appears in the records but a check finds others not mentioned so far I have these in total?

[see post above]

I still can't confirm what aircraft and crew dropped this bomb?

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

The focus of my book remains centred on Allied air personnel losses - those of the RFC, RNAS, AFC, USAS and RAF, as opposed to these men you've listed, who are all Army soldier casualties as far as I can see. It appears they sadly got bombed in an enemy raid onto an Army camp, which other sources are going to be more relevant for exploring. In the new TSTB II there are frankly dozens of new entries around the Second Battle of Gaza period - mostly for air combat, and air casualties, as well as more details about the battle itself, and I see there are some listings also for some raids on aerodromes where RFC casualties were sustained. There are none of these for this particular day, however.

Sorry I can't really help, but good luck with your searches.

Trevor

Trev,

Thanks mate, I see, I surpose another action I am looking at involves 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC a few days before?

Accounts very, as do numbers, shown Capt Cox (RFC att 1 Sqn AFC) and 2 men but records show more then that?

HARDY Horace Stanley 174 1/AM 1 Sqn AFC A Flight Armourer att 14 Sqn RFC 4-16 to Cpl 8-16 WIA 12-4-17 chest/ribbs bomb reported which killed Capt CR Cox RFC and wounded two men in air attack on Rafa to Armourer Cpl 8-17 to ER Sgt X aircraft park 8-18

HUTCHISON Francis Leslie 1702 Pte 01 LHR 11R Tos B Sqn 1-16 at WFF to trade test 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 11-16 to 2/AM 68 Sqn (2 Sqn) AFC 11-16 rtn 67 Sqn AFC 12-16 WIA 12-4-17 R/foot bomb in air attack on Rafa reported killed Capt CR Cox RFC and wounded two men later WWII

PRIDEAUX Walter Tom 233 Cpl 1 Sqn AFC B Flight rigger att F Div HQ 4-16 revert 1/AM 6-16 to Cpl 9-16 WIA 12-4-17 R/leg & ribs bomb reported which killed Capt CR Cox RFC and wounded two men in air attack on Rafa disch 15-5-18 spinal

McGOUGH John Henry 955 Pte 1 Remts 4 Sqn to Anzac Police AProvC 4-16 to batman to Lt Hyam 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 9-16 WIA 12-4-17 R/thigh & L/foot bomb reported in air attack on Rafa reported killed Capt CR Cox RFC and wounded two men to AProvC Cairo 6-17 to ER Cpl 3-18 to A/Sgt 12-18 to ER Sgt 3-19 MID - reason not stated

Again no record of what plane and crew dropped this bomb

Sorry my fault I check actions out then cross check my DB of soldiers that served to see who these losses are. Nice to put a face to numbers.

Cheers

S.B

Trevor: Having finally sourced a copy of Version 1 at less than a King's Ransom not too long ago, I've decided that I'd better get in early with Version 2. So, duly ordered - and congratulations on all that you've done. The additions this time around should prove very helpful, indeed.

Evening Ian,

Thank you for your kind words about The Sky Their Battlefield II, and for the order.

I've just done a quick count. I see there are sixty-three expanded or added entries for 10 Squadron RFC RAF alone! Surprised myself!

And there's almost 30 more entries for 10 Squadron in the new Accidents Addendum, with all the relevant details. Should keep you occupied as the nights draw in!

Thanks again,

Trevor

Trevor: Wonderful - I await its arrival with even more anticipation!

Hi

I have already ordered this direct from Trevor - should be here any day now.

This looks like my dark winter nights are taken care of.

Wishing you every success with this book, Trevor.

Best regards

Paul

Trevor

Just to confirm your new book arrived this morning - it's a magnificent piece of work, with very high production values.

Such a large book will take me some time to work through, I'm not complaining!

Using your book will be a real pleasure, and i look forward to many nights buried deep in its pages.

Wishing you every success with it.

Best Regards

Paul

Mine arrived yesterday too - and I agree with Paul, it is certainly an eye-catching volume. Now for the detail!

Dear Paul and Ian,

Thank you both for your kind words and support.

I believe a lot of praise must go to the artist, Simon Smith, who did the wonderful painting for my book cover. It represents the shooting down of Capt Ronald Townsend of 56 Squadron on the 30th November 1917 by Josef Mai of Jasta 5. He was shot down in flames on an offensive patrol near Cambrai in the afternoon, in SE5a B40. The painting is entitled Sacrifice of the Brave, and personally, for me, it takes me to the heart of the book each time I look at it.

post-20883-0-85941000-1416163121_thumb.j

Thanks again, and thanks to Simon,

Trevor

Good news - mine has arrived.

Bad news. Wife has decided it is a christmas present and taken it into protective custody.

Think I need a new wife!

Simon

Bad news. Wife has decided it is a christmas present and taken it into protective custody.

Think I need a new wife!

Simon

Simon

That could be risky talk if she has access to the Forum, you know what "Careless Talk" and all that leads to!

Mike

Think I need a new wife!

Simon

If certain correspondence from across the various continents is to be believed, you're in good company Simon!!

Thanks very much for buying one.

Trevor