Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spot the Error

Terry Denham

I know this is a WW2 headstone but it is a good example of what can be missed.

I have looked at this headstone many times in Lewes Cemetery, Sussex but only just seen the mistake. It is on a newish laser cut headstone.

I have reported it for correction.

Can you spot it?

post-19-1099241878.jpg

An illiterate blindman could see it. Well spotted Terry.

I wont say what it is.......

Tom.

"O" dear !

You would think that sort of error would be spotted straight away.. particularly if visited by family, but maybe thats never been the case.

Has there been other examples or is this an isolated case ?

Atholl

Was that too easy?

Try this one (No, the first was not an isolated case)

Villers-Bretonneaux Military Cemetery (also reported for correction)

post-19-1099243416.jpg

Looks like the final "e" in formerley.

Jimmy

Usualley, I think you can never have too many 'E's'.

They have also been quite generous with their 'O's'

Kate

Terry..............A query on Lieutenant Foord's headstone.................Manitoba Regiment formerly Royal Flying Corps................Why then the RAF/RFC emblem rather than the Maple leaf?

Well done Will. I knew someone would pick that up.

It is all a bit unusual.

His CWGC record states 'Manitoba Regt seconded to Royal Air Force'.

It is normal to have the RAF badge when an army man is attached or seconded to the RFC/RAF. But why does it say 'formerly RFC'.

This suggests that the man had left the RFC and gone back to the Canadian Army whereas it appears he remained with the RFC through its transition to the RAF.

I would have expected it to read RAF and Manitoba Regt - or RAF formerly Manitoba Regt.

He was shot down in a Bristol F.2B

Well done Will. I knew someone would pick that up.

It is all a bit unusual.

His CWGC record states 'Manitoba Regt seconded to Royal Air Force'.

It is normal to have the RAF badge when an army man is attached or seconded to the RFC/RAF. But why does it say 'formerly RFC'.

This suggests that the man had left the RFC and gone back to the Canadian Army whereas it appears he remained with the RFC through its transition to the RAF.

I would have expected it to read RAF and Manitoba Regt - or RAF formerly Manitoba Regt.

He was shot down in a Bristol F.2B

Terry..............do you know whether the correction is merely going to be on the word 'formerly' or is the phrasing going to be changed to something more appropriate?

The correction is only of the word 'formerley'

How strange..............You'd have thought that since the trouble was being taken to amend the wording, it would be changed to something which reflected Lt Foord's correct association with the RAF/RFC.....................or is there something I'm missing :unsure:

I wonder if there is a stone mason (That is stone not stoned) that can tell us how these headstones were (In 1914-18) and are now carved.

The picture comes to mind of a man with a hammer and chisel and a lot of patience but this process must have been automated by now.

If it comes down to someone typing at a keyboard I am not saying a word, considering the number of mistakes I know I am capable of committing.

Compo

All headstones were hand carved from their introduction 1920 onwards.

A device was invented after a short while to draw badge patterns on several stones at once to speed up operations but each was still an individual work of art.

Headstones are now largely made in CWGC's French workshop by purely mechanical means (computer controlled) with the designs and text being laser cut. Therefore typing errors in the input data will generate errors if not spotted.

There are several threads on this subject and a search should provide more info and some pics.