Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli trench map enquiry?

andy2014

Hi

We have recently discovered a relative killed at Gallipoli.

Killed 13th July 1915, Portsmouth Battalion, RMLI.

So far i have read that at 4.30 pm on 13th July 1915 , the Portsmouth Batt were sent in on the orders of General Sir Ian Hamilton at the battle of Achi Baba Nullah.

It seems there was confusion with the no. of trenches ahead of them, 3 trenches on the map when were there was actually 2 and merely a depression which was confused on translating the ariel photographs and they pressed on too far, suffered losses badly and fell back again.

A mistake also taken previously by the 1/5th Scots Fusiliers on the same trenches

Next task is to locate the area and we are looking for trench maps.

I see the maps from the time are mere scribbles and almost doodles and nothing like the maps from France.

I am struggling to corolate a clear map of the area, the trenches and visualize the position they were in and locate its approx location.

Only reason is that he was never found and is noted on the Helles memorial.

May look to visit next year and it would be nice to see the area and find the location in question and visualize the area and pay our respects.

Any info or tips greatly appreciated on any aspect of the battles and on that day!

Great Thanks

Andy

Andy,

The RND advanced at c.5pm in the afternoon of the 13th July with the Nelson Battalion on the left, the Portsmouth Battalion in the centre [the Chatham Battalion should have been on the right but received their orders late, only 35 minutes before the attack, and did not take part till later]

There was a report at 10pm that the Portsmouth Battalion were digging in slightly in advance of E12

Trench E12 will be seen on the maps below; the second is a crop of the first.

The map appears on page 792, of the magazine RND, issue No.9, June 1999, published by Len Sellers.

As well as being covered by Len Sellers, this action is also described by Capt. Roy Swales RN (rtd) in his book 'Nelson at War' 1914-1918' and by Jerrold in his divisional history 'The Royal Naval Division'

Good luck with your research

Michael

MapHellesJuly1915_zpscffe47ec.jpg

MapHellesJuly1915croptrenchE12_zps789e3e

• 1 month later...

Hi

We have recently discovered a relative killed at Gallipoli.

Killed 13th July 1915, Portsmouth Battalion, RMLI.

So far i have discovered that at 4.30 pm on 13th July 1915 , the Portsmouth Batt were sent in on the orders of General Sir Ian Hamilton at the battle of Achi Baba Nullah.

It seems there was confusion with the no. of trenches ahead of them, 3 trenches on the map when were there was actually 2 and merely a depression which was confused on translating the ariel photographs and they pressed on too far, suffered losses badly and fell back again.

A mistake also taken previously by the 1/5th Scots Fusiliers on the same trenches

Next task is to locate the area and we are looking for trench maps and maps in general, even photographs, then and now?

I see the maps from the time are mere scribbles and almost doodles and nothing like the maps from France.

I am struggling to corolate a clear map of the area, the trenches and visualize the position they were in and locate its approx location.

Only reason is that he was never found and is noted on the Helles memorial.

May look to visit next year and it would be nice to see the area and find the location in question and visualize the area and pay our respects.

Any info or tips greatly appreciated on any aspect of the battles and on that day!

Or any information about the Portsmouth batt RMLI at Gallipoli?

Great Thanks

Andy

Andy

I have merged your topics. it is better to follow on from earlier comments that to start again. if you want to make sure that you don't miss any replies you can scroll to the top of the topic and select options under the heading "follow this topic" which will ensure that you don't miss anything.

Cheers

keith Roberts

EDIT

Regarding a visit. Much depends on fitness and your skill with issues such as map reading in difficult terrain. If you have those skills then look at some of the topics here, or in Battlefield Touring. If you are like me no expert at such things you might want to consider going with an organised group. At least two members of the GWF who have studied gallipoli and published about it lead tours. You might also take a look at the Gallipoli Association web site.

Andy,

Here is another map (& crop) from the Official History which shows trench E12

and it may be of help in pinning down the location on the peninsula

MapHelleslineJuly1915frmOH_zpse517168d.jb222a55b-4c32-4938-bc8d-6215c7407e1e_zps

Andy,

The RND advanced at c.5pm in the afternoon of the 13th July with the Nelson Battalion on the left, the Portsmouth Battalion in the centre [the Chatham Battalion should have been on the right but received their orders late, only 35 minutes before the attack, and did not take part till later]

There was a report at 10pm that the Portsmouth Battalion were digging in slightly in advance of E12

Trench E12 will be seen on the maps below; the second is a crop of the first.

The map appears on page 792, of the magazine RND, issue No.9, June 1999, published by Len Sellers.

As well as being covered by Len Sellers, this action is also described by Capt. Roy Swales RN (rtd) in his book 'Nelson at War' 1914-1918' and by Jerrold in his divisional history 'The Royal Naval Division'

Good luck with your research

Michael

MapHellesJuly1915_zpscffe47ec.jpg

MapHellesJuly1915croptrenchE12_zps789e3e

Hi Michael

Great maps and description, Thank you so much, really helps and i can now visualize and locate the area.

Plenty read on and research futher.

Thanks.

I was wondering what had happened to you Andy

See my previous reply here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220363&hl=

Thanks for the replies, been a bit manic and took a break from the whole research and family tree, now picking it back up again.

Great info Thanks so much.

Hi Andy,

my grandfather was there as well as your relative, but had the good fortune to survive. What was your relatives name ?

I have also attached a map from the 12 July 1915

Regards

Pompey

post-96382-0-69864800-1420898529_thumb.g

Hi Andy,

my grandfather was there as well as your relative, but had the good fortune to survive. What was your relatives name ?

I have also attached a map from the 12 July 1915

Regards

Pompey

Hi

His name was Private Percy Raymond Dixon

RMLI, Portsmouth Battalion.

Killed 13th July 1915

Thanks for the map, interested if you have found anything different or new?

Thanks for replying.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Below is an extract from Britain's Sea Soldiers concerning the attack that day. You are most probably aware that Percy's Memorial Plaque is shown on the Jack Clegg web site www.jackclegg3.webspace.virginmedia.com/RNDplaquesD.htm

There is not much information about Portsmouth Battalion, as the Battalion War Diary's don't exist or if we are really lucky they are yet to be discovered in a dusty archive. The Brigade war diaries are available at the NA to read and give a fair bit of info. I have written a book which is available on Amazon called 'A Sunny August Bank Holiday To A Wet Easter' which covers the Battalion from the start of the war, through Belgium and Gallipoli to just after the Easter Uprising in Ireland.

The Fleet Air Arm museum has most Records from Portsmouth Battalion including the attestation papers, but I am not sure if they have all of those who enlisted for the duration on the short service ticket.

Regards

Pompey

post-96382-0-65497500-1420912823_thumb.j

Hopefully the makers of Linesman will also release a version of their superb product for Gallipolli before the 100th anniversary of the landings this year. Ideally with Turkish maps as well to broaden the appeal.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hi Andy,

Below is an extract from Britain's Sea Soldiers concerning the attack that day. You are most probably aware that Percy's Memorial Plaque is shown on the Jack Clegg web site www.jackclegg3.webspace.virginmedia.com/RNDplaquesD.htm

There is not much information about Portsmouth Battalion, as the Battalion War Diary's don't exist or if we are really lucky they are yet to be discovered in a dusty archive. The Brigade war diaries are available at the NA to read and give a fair bit of info. I have written a book which is available on Amazon called 'A Sunny August Bank Holiday To A Wet Easter' which covers the Battalion from the start of the war, through Belgium and Gallipoli to just after the Easter Uprising in Ireland.

The Fleet Air Arm museum has most Records from Portsmouth Battalion including the attestation papers, but I am not sure if they have all of those who enlisted for the duration on the short service ticket.

Regards

Pompey

attachicon.gifBritains Sea soldiers Extract.jpg

That is a great pieec of information! Thank You.

Have never seen that yet?

Much more detail!

I guess hes probably fell in E12 trench or beyond during the advance, has no known grave so may still be there? or in a mass grave if there was one?

Thanks again, i dont think i am going to do any better than that?

I will be looking into your book as i am interetsed in his life during his time in the RMLI up to that point?

I did enquire as to the memorial plaque but it was sold many years ago and will be locked up in someones collection somewhere?

Shame as would have been nice to have tracked it down?

Andy

Hi Andy,

sorry to hear that his memorial plaque has moved on, but persevere and I am sure you will eventually track it down along with Percy's medals.

Glad to be of help

Regards

Pompey

Hi Andy,

sorry to hear that his memorial plaque has moved on, but persevere and I am sure you will eventually track it down along with Percy's medals.

Glad to be of help

Regards

Pompey

Thanks, i will keep an eye out for it? i can understand collecting your families medals but never understood hoarding other peoples?

Must be very profitable to collect them, especially at the moment.

Actually wouldnt know where to start looking for them if they came up for sale?

A shame.

Andy