Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private J Bleakley

conijoni

Can anyone give me a Christian name, unit, when killed for J. Bleakley on the Enniskillen Cathedral FWW Memorial? Is his name on the Enniskillen Town Memorial as I could not find it? Thanks.

Perhaps this is a more helpful suggestion - from Soldiers Died in the Great War?

O/7452 Pte. John Bleakley : born Fermanagh : Enlisted Manchester

Royal Army Ordnance Corps : "Died" Mesopotamia 6.7.1918 (Died usually means died of illness)

also http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/632605/BLEAKLEY,%20J

BillyH.

Having many "Bleackley" and "Bleakley" in my family, you might find many records use different spellings. One example is my great great uncle who has William Bleackley (16438 / 222885) on his CWGC records but William Bleackly on SDGW.

That's just three variations, there are more, so try them all! The list of variations is quite long, some even get confused for Blakey or Blaikie. Also, some individuals even changed the spelling of their own name, during their lives.

Edited by steve345uk

This is your man -

From http://www.ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/county_fermanagh.html

Canadian Expeditionary Force

Private J. Bleakley

and hence CWGC

BLEAKLEY, JOHN

Service No: 121

Date of Death: 31/01/1915

Regiment/Service: Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment)

Grave Reference: III. D. 7.

Cemetery: VOORMEZEELE ENCLOSURE NO.3

Additional Information: Son of George and Alettica Bleakley, of Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland. 12 years service in 2nd Bn. Duke of Cornwall's Light Inf.

Edit to add my comment.

I know nothing about Ireland in the War but in my part of North Gloucestershire a lot of men left the area due to lack of work for Australia, New Zealand and Canada in the few years prior to the war. Many of these then signed up when war started in the forces of their new country, but if killed frequently they were still listed on the war memorials in their original town /village. By looking at the Enniskillen war memorial it looks as if a lot of men from that area went to Canada, logical as closest dominion to Ireland, and did likewise. I have found a few of my "missing" men by looking in the forces for these other countries.

Evan

Thanks johnboy. Been to cwgc already. None make sense.

I thought you might go straight to the Fermanagh man.

His full Canadian service record is available for free at:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=48795

Lucky his name starts with "B" since they're digitizing them at the moment by surname!

ps. download the pdf from the link on the right hand side of the page - it's quite slow but get's there eventually!

I also had relative in the PPCLI "originals", started the war, returned home sick but shot himself by accident when he got home.

Steve

Edited by steve345uk

Thank you all for your help. Evan - the right man indeed. Steve - that file was terrific. I am writing about Irish Church Lads in the Great War and John Bleakly was a Sgt. Instructor with the Enniskillen CLB Company.

• 3 months later...

Advance Notice

The book launch for ‘Irish Church Lads in the Great War’ is set for 20th March at 4pm.

It will be hosted by the Mayor of Lisburn at the Civic Centre.

The War Badge Design Competition winner will also be announced.

If interested in attending, will you let me know.

Johnny Conn

Johnny all the very best with the book.

From researching my little village I know how much work it takes to do a quality job that reflects the sacrifice the men made.

Evan