Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Threat to Cambrai battlefield from wind turbines

johntaylor

A plan to build wind turbines is posing a disturbing threat to the battlefield at Cambrai. For details, see the website of Deborah, the Flesquieres tank: http://www.tank-cambrai.com/english/news/wind_turbine/wind_turbine.php

Best regards, John

• 1 month later...

My village in France has a line of 24 Turbines outside the village. They provide vital funds for the local community, running the Mairie, maintaining the local hall, local grass cutting and other things that are part of the fabric of life in a French village.

Each turbine has a small footprint that in sensitive areas would not take long to excavate and evaluate archaeologically.

We cannot preserve the world in aspic and turbines should be easily accommodated. It's not like a dam, flooding an area or extensive building developments.

John

• 2 weeks later...

My village in France has a line of 24 Turbines outside the village. They provide vital funds for the local community, running the Mairie, maintaining the local hall, local grass cutting and other things that are part of the fabric of life in a French village.

Each turbine has a small footprint that in sensitive areas would not take long to excavate and evaluate archaeologically.

We cannot preserve the world in aspic and turbines should be easily accommodated. It's not like a dam, flooding an area or extensive building developments.

John

This im afraid,life has to go on,remembering the fallen is an important thing and I certainly see the comfort of knowing the battlefield remain somewhat intact for posterity ,even I wouldnt like it if the places in Afghanistan where I had close calls and where I know friends met their tragic end all too young where to be developed into wall mart stores and starbucks in 20 years

(incidentally many of us would like it to be developed into a parking lot but thats another story)

I still had to respect the local governments wishes and the expect at most any eventual memorial to be respected.

Then if after a 100 years of the french by and of in large respecting the whole former western front which after all ran from the belgian coast to the swiss border..thats a huge amount of real estate ask a sovereign nation to not significantly develop

It's no different to whats happening over here in Britain, many rural areas up in arms at the proposed plans to build wind farms in unspoilt areas, the only people benefiting being the landowners who rake in the money from each generator sited on their property.

I sailed into Zeebrugge a couple of months ago, there are wind farms off the coast there to "cobble dogs with", yet not one wind generator was turning, there was no wind. At the port all the electric driven cranes were working, the shops in the coastal towns had their power, and the trams were running along the sea front as usual.

Where were they getting their power from?? and if there was some other means of generation that was supplying it ( obviously there must have been ) what do we need wind farms for ...???

regards

Tom

I suppose it depends on the size of these wind turbines as to the detrimental effects. We have the huge one's quite close to my home and they are an eyesore as well as the massive lorries that transport these monstrosities and building of the roads to access them onto ancient moorlands.

The only people who make money off them in the UK are the landowners and the people who operate them. They get very large grants off the EC to build them. Their output is minimal apparently, as they are close to useless but the companies want to build more of them as there is money to be made via grants from the EC.