Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PHILIP NEAME VC

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Can anyone tell me about Philip Neame, and his postings during and before WWI? I know that he was a Royal Engineer, and rose to the rank of Lieutenant-General: serving in WWII and being captured, spending part of his captivity with (our old friend) Lieutenant-General Adrian Carton de Wiart.

Thanks

Frank Bartholomew

One posting I know of is as a Brigade Major in 168th Bde, 56th (London) Division in mid-1916. One of my old veteran pals, Harry Coates (ex-London Scottish) was on the Bde staff at the time of Gommecourt and related how he and Neame carried the Bde commander out of the dugout on the night of 1st July 'shell shocked' by the destruction of his brigade that day.

Harry stayed in touch with Neame for the rest of his life.

Shepherd Neame Brewers a company founded by Philip Neame's great grandfather are supporting the appeal for funds for a VC memorial by marketing a set of six claSsic posters in cluding 'No Fokker comes close' and 'Relax Smudger its one of ours'. Although of WW2 vintage they may be of interest to forum members with a VC interest.

see www.shepherdneame.co.uk

And from my days as a Second World War historian..

Lt Gen Sir Philip Neame VC KBE CB was the General Officer Commanding Cyrenaica in 1941. (This was part of one of my undergraduate theses, arguing that the Battle of Gazala in May 42 was lost before it started...) He was starved of kit and resources 'only fighting Italians...' Then a vaguely remembered German general from the campaign in the west in 1940 - Erwin Rommel - arrived with his small (then) force, you might have heard of them, the 'Afrika Korps' - and went through Cyrenaica Force like a knife through butter.

He, Lt Gen Richard O'Connor ('the hero of Bardia') and numerous staff were captured by a German recce unit taking a wrong turn in the dark. They went 'in the bag' to Italy, where they escaped later. Neame was castigated for allowing the 'great' O'Connor to be captured.

Sir Philip's son (also Phil) was - believe it or not - a Company Commander in 2nd Battalion, Parachute Regiment in the Falklands in 1982, at Goose Green. But that, as they say, is another story.

And Bob's absolutely bang-on. Lt Gen Neame was in the Guinness Book of records for being the only holder of a VC and an Olympic Gold Medal.

• 2 years later...
Can anyone tell me about Philip Neame, and his postings during and before WWI? I know that he was a Royal Engineer, and rose to the rank of Lieutenant-General: serving in WWII and being captured, spending part of his captivity with (our old friend) Lieutenant-General Adrian Carton de Wiart.

Thanks

Frank Bartholomew

Ok, Let's see if I can get this right. He started the war at the age of 25 as a Lieutenant and ended it as a Lieutenant Colonel and GSO 1 of a Division.

1908 - 10: Chatham School of Military Engineering.

1910 - 13: 56th Field Company Royal Engineers, Junior Subaltern.

1913 - 14: Gibralter mobilised for WW1 on 29th July, 1914 with 15th RE, 8th Division. In trenches for first battle of Ypres. Won VC 19th December 1914.

Neuve Chapel 1915 Engineering Assembly trenches.

Six weeks later made Adjutant RE with rank of Captain under CRE (don't know) Lt Col PG Grant.

Promoted January 1916: Brigade Major 168th Infantry Brigade, 56th London Territorial Division. Also awarded DSO for work with RE since won VC.

1917 promoted GSO 2 sent to 15th Corps HQ - moved up to the Belgian coast June 1917 (Nieuport to Nieuport Bains)

Winter 1917 left 15th Corps to go to First Army HQ.

April 1918 with first army working on troop movements sent to stem German advances

Later promoted GSO 1 of 30th Division, commanded by Major General W de Williams. Stayed there for last six months of war.

Inadverantly carried on fighting for half an hour too long on Armistice Day!

After war went as GSO 1 to No 2 Tank Group.

Hope that helps.

A few points from his "Who's Who " entry of 1928: born 12.12.1888; educated at Cheltenham. Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society; hobbies: polo, hunting, shooting, hockey, rifle and revolver shooting (in British Olympic Sporting Rifle Team and the Army Revolver VIII) - that must explain what his Olympic Gold was for.

Lt Gen Neame was in the Guinness Book of records for being the only holder of a VC and an Olympic Gold Medal.

As a slight ps on the sporting side :

The most highly decorated British sporting team was the No1 crew of the 4 man Bobsleigh team at the 1948 winter olympics at St Moritz.

The four RAF crew members had between them 2 x D.S.O. , 3 x D.F.C and 3 x A.F.C.

Roland.

As a slight ps on the sporting side :

The most highly decorated British sporting team was the No1 crew of the 4 man Bobsleigh team  at the 1948 winter olympics at St Moritz.

The four RAF crew members had between them 2 x D.S.O. , 3 x D.F.C and 3 x A.F.C.

Roland.

Probably the only people who were safer on a bobsleigh than doing the day job!