Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help please with Herbert John Webb - Worcesters and Gloucesters

Phil Bd

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help please with more information about my Great Uncle Herbert John Webb, born 1899 Birmingham?
I've recently found out he served with the 12th Battalion Gloucester Regiment, number 039104 but previous to this he was in the Worcester Regiment, number 326059.
I was wondering what Battalion was he in with the Worcester's and why did he later join the Gloucester's?

Any help gratefully received.

Phil

His medal roll should tell you the battalion for the Worcesters, unfortunately I haven't got

access to the transcribed version. According to the SWB list he enlisted on the 10/12/1915

and was discharged due to wounds on the 27/2/1919 aged 21. There is a possibility he was

wounded before and transfered to the Glosters or he undertook his training with the

Worcesters and was allocated to the Glosters when arrived in France.

Had a quick look at sequential Worcester numbers either side of your relative and I have

found three men transfering to the Glosters and a few others but all are transferees.

326049 - 39066 1st Worcesters to 12th Glosters

326048 - 39067 1st Worcesters to 12th Glosters

326056 - 63950 transfered to the Warwicks

326064 - 39096 transfered to the Glosters (possibly 13th) and then on to the MGC

326068 - 34406 transfered to the Warwicks

326086 - 57376 transfered to the Suffolks

There seems to be a block of Gloster numbers 39*** that have transfered to 12th Battalion

from other regiments, quite a few from the Worcesters.

Most likely all were trained by the Worcesters and then transfered to other regiments.

His medal roll should tell you the battalion for the Worcesters, unfortunately I haven't got

access to the transcribed version. According to the SWB list he enlisted on the 10/12/1915

and was discharged due to wounds on the 27/2/1919 aged 21. There is a possibility he was

wounded before and transfered to the Glosters or he undertook his training with the

Worcesters and was allocated to the Glosters when arrived in France.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for this. Was it usual to be trained by one regiment then transferred to another? Do you know how I might be able to obtain his service record? Was there any more information about him being wounded?

I know he finished his days in Australia so his wounds were not life threatening.

Cheers

Phil

Morning Phil,

It was quite common (especially as the war progressed) to be trained by regiment 'A' and get

sent to or allocated to regiment 'B' after training or when arriving in theatre. I have seen this

a lot with the Glosters. They were allocated where needed.

I have searched on Ancestry and cannot find his service / pension records. It looks like they

did not survive. I will look again in case I missed something.

He may be mentioned in local papers for when he was wounded or if your extremely lucky

a hospital admission book, but they are very scarce.

The only other thing I can suggest is to give the archivist at the Regimental Museum a call

and see if they have any extra info.

Regards,

Simon.

Morning Phil,

It was quite common (especially as the war progressed) to be trained by regiment 'A' and get

sent to or allocated to regiment 'B' after training or when arriving in theatre. I have seen this

a lot with the Glosters. They were allocated where needed.

I have searched on Ancestry and cannot find his service / pension records. It looks like they

did not survive. I will look again in case I missed something.

He may be mentioned in local papers for when he was wounded or if your extremely lucky

a hospital admission book, but they are very scarce.

The only other thing I can suggest is to give the archivist at the Regimental Museum a call

and see if they have any extra info.

Regards,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Once again thanks. I thought I would try and find out as much as can about Herbert as it's the 100 year anniversary of WWI. I know he later he went on to have a good life in Australia, so he survived the horrors of war unlike a lot of our lads.

Cheers

Phil

Have run him through the Campaign Medals CD Rom and no Worcs Bn sadly.....just the details you already have. I'll keep trying on FMP but Simon's advice is sound! Thr Gloucesters Museum are very helpful

http://www.glosters.org.uk/soldiersearch/

and there's a good Worcs Regt forum :

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/forum/index.php

Best

Simon

Have run him through the Campaign Medals CD Rom and no Worcs Bn sadly.....just the details you already have. I'll keep trying on FMP but Simon's advice is sound! Thr Gloucesters Museum are very helpful

http://www.glosters.org.uk/soldiersearch/

and there's a good Worcs Regt forum :

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/forum/index.php

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

One of the reasons I would like to know what battalion he was in, with the Worc's, is to find out if he was in the same Bn as my Grandfather Albert Edward Bird, no.11042, who was in the 2nd Bn. I was wondering if they might have known each other.

All the best

Phil