Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A pupil brought this medal into class today...

Clarissabell

Oh - and maybe I should mention that Amyrose is one of 25 pupils from the school who are going over to Belgium this weekend to visit WWI graves, so this information couldn't have come at a better time.

Regards, Michelle

Hello Michelle

His age suggests that he was too old to be conscripted, so he was probably a volunteer. You probably know that MGC stands for Machine Gun Corps, the Heavy Branch of which later became the Tank Corps. There was a lot of early work on tanks in and around Lincoln and south Lincolnshire, so if he was still living in Spalding at that time (and leaving one's home town was rarer in those days) that might explain a connection. You might be able to check this online where details of the 1911 census can be found, including occupations. Did he perhaps have a background in engineering, or as a mechanic? This might again explain the MGC connection.

Good luck to you, Amyrose and the whole class. This is exactly the way to bring children into a clearer understanding of the war and its impact on the lives of ordinary people, the hardships they had to face and the legacy of that war which is still with us today.

Ron

There was a lot of early work on tanks in and around Lincoln and south Lincolnshire, so if he was still living in Spalding at that time (and leaving one's home town was rarer in those days) that might explain a connection. You might be able to check this online where details of the 1911 census can be found, including occupations. Did he perhaps have a background in engineering, or as a mechanic? This might again explain the MGC connection.

Ron - they will find this fascinating. There is nothing pupils like better than tanks and guns!

Thanks for your supportive words and sharing your expertise with us.

Regards, Michelle

Michelle, I take it that this is your man -

BMD Records Births
Name: Charles William Alexander
District: Stamford... Quarter: 1... Volume: 7a... Page: 308... County: Lincolnshire... Year: 1868

1871 lived at 17 Spencer Terrace, 1881 17 Hope Terrace (suspicion these are the same house as both end of the street and same people in nr 15) with the family could not find 1891 (was he in the army overseas???) but did you see 1901 ? -

1901 Hurst Castle Fort, Milford, Hampshire (obviously billets)
Alexander Charles 33 1868 Single Gunner Royal Garrion Artillery Stamford, Lincolnshire

By 1911 had maried and lived at 22 Catcliffe Cottages, Bakewell, Derbyshire

With previously military experience it might also explain being older than the norm. Interesting that he did not rejoin his old unit, although saying that as no service records he might have transferred.

Evan

1911 occupation - Urban District Council Labourer, Stone Crusher.

TEW

Find my Past has pre-war service records for:

ALEXANDER CHARLES WILLIAM {Born} 1868 — {Enlisted} 1886 {Record type} Regimental & service records {Place of Birth} St Michaels, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England

Access is free over the weekend (from tomorrow with e-mail registration)

They may be all his records of that period or militia service for a short period prior to enlisting in the Regular Army.

Steve

How wonderful! Thanks for uncovering so much of Charlie's story. Already Amyrose is delighted. Apparently she ran to the school office to phone her dad when I gave her the MIC details - so this will make a huge impression. I expect I won't sleep at all if Find My Past is open access this weekend! I have never had so many people to look-up, but thanks to all your help, the stories just keep unfolding.

Thanks for this everyone.

Michelle

www.hsdwarstories.com