Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Yeomanry

Lizzy.Dave

Hi, Can anyone help me with this uniform please, I found this photo in my Grandmother's photo album years ago but have not been able to identify the person, I believe the uniform is possibly the Imperial Yeomanry but not sure, I know this would have been for the Boer War but I can't fit any relatives into that time zone and just wondered if this uniform could have been worn for the 1914-18 war, as one of my Grans brothers was in the Great War. Have now got to try and load the photo!! Thanks Lizpost-117007-0-32344700-1415125891_thumb.

Can you tell us you grandmother's brothers name please? We may be able to find a connection.

Dave

Hi, I believe he was in the 5th Dorsets, his name was William Henry Galpin, and I also know that he was killed in September 1918, and was awarded the Croix De Guerre. I am convinced that my Gran would have had a photo of him but this is the only one I can't identify, but the uniform is all wrong, so I don't think this can be him. Am I correct in thinking it is the uniform of the Imperial Yeomanry, I have found one like it for the Boer War City Imperial Volunteers, but this would make it 1898 1899 and I can't find any of her relatives that would have been the correct age for that war. Thanks Liz

Hi, I believe he was in the 5th Dorsets, his name was William Henry Galpin, and I also know that he was killed in September 1918, and was awarded the Croix De Guerre. I am convinced that my Gran would have had a photo of him but this is the only one I can't identify, but the uniform is all wrong, so I don't think this can be him. Am I correct in thinking it is the uniform of the Imperial Yeomanry, I have found one like it for the Boer War City Imperial Volunteers, but this would make it 1898 1899 and I can't find any of her relatives that would have been the correct age for that war. Thanks Liz

You are right that it is a 2nd Boer War Uniform Liz. The jacket is made from cotton drill and of the type used early in the war. The hat (known as 'slouch' or 'wide-awake') was to become very popular and became the field head wear for both mounted and dismounted troops until the peaked khaki wool service dress (SD) cap was issued from 1905 onwards.

Thanks Frogsmile for clarifying the uniform, and the info about the hat, so it is pre 1905, that rules out William Galpin because he was only a lad in 1905, so back to the drawing board.

I have found two men with the surname Galpin on the Boer War Medal Rolls who might be possibilities if a family link can be found:

3926, Pte. Frederick William Galpin, Dorset Regiment

born 1875, Sherborne, Dorset

14147, Cpl. Frederick Walter Galpin

47th (Duke of Cambridge's Own, or Lord Doughmore's) Company, Imperial Yeomanry.

who may be the same man as:

3925, Pte, Frederick Walter Galpin

3rd Batt. East Kent Regiment - Attested 1892

born 1875 Sherborne Dorset

who served pre-Boer War.

Dave

I have found two men with the surname Galpin on the Boer War Medal Rolls who might be possibilities if a family link can be found:

3926, Pte. Frederick William Galpin, Dorset Regiment

born 1875, Sherborne, Dorset

14147, Cpl. Frederick Walter Galpin

47th (Duke of Cambridge's Own, or Lord Doughmore's) Company, Imperial Yeomanry.

who may be the same man as:

3925, Pte, Frederick Walter Galpin

3rd Batt. East Kent Regiment - Attested 1892

born 1875 Sherborne Dorset

who served pre-Boer War.

Dave

That makes good sense Dave and I should think that he is the Imperial Yeomanry man. The 3rd Batt East Kent was a Militia battalion (i.e. part time soldiers) that was mainly formed from men of the rural working class. Many men followed service in the Militia with a spot of regular service of some kind and it would be natural for him to volunteer for service in South Africa at a time when there was great pressure for extra manpower.

Thanks guys, I will check out the Sherborne link, most of the family were in the Wimborne area, but Sherborne is not far from Wimborne. The only other surnames that are possible are Foot and Stout, but when I search on Foot all that comes up is foot soldier, again they would be Dorset and possibly Wimborne, but thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Seventeen of the fifty-five Yeomanry Regiments were spin-offs from the Imperial Yeomanry companies raised for the Boer War. They drew their recruits from a number of widespread sources. More than a few gentlemen rankers too.

The 47th Coy mentioned by Heritage Plus was part of the 13th Bn Imperial Yeomanry. The Yeomanry in South Africa is a poorly researched area.

I assume that Doughmore's men later but some may well have formed part of the Middlesex Hussars (also Duke of Cambridge's from 1884) which sponsored the seven companies of the IY. Later they were the Middlesex (Duke of Cambridge's Hussars) Imperial Yeomanry, and later still the 1st County of London Yeomanry (Duke of Cambridge's Middlesex Hussars). The Duke was the Colonel in Chief.

Two FOOT possibilities form the Boer War Medal Rolls:

4604, Shoeing Smith, George William Walter Foot

41st (Hampshire) Coy. 4th. Batt. IY

4605, Trooper, James Ernest Foot

41st (Hampshire) Coy. 4th. Batt. IY

Dave