Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Engine Repair Shops RAF 1918

TrevorHH

Dear All

One of the clues to my Grandfather's whereabouts in WW1 is a Christmas card he sent home in 1918 from France overprinted with the words Engine Repair Shops RAF. Where was this unit and can anyone give some history about it for me please?

My Grandfather was LAC Leonard Hancock, a painter and signwriter in civilian life he continued this career into the RFC when joined in 1915 and he left the RAF in 1921 when he was stationed at Lee-on-Solent.

Many thanks

Trevor

Dear All

One of the clues to my Grandfather's whereabouts in WW1 is a Christmas card he sent home in 1918 from France overprinted with the words Engine Repair Shops RAF. Where was this unit and can anyone give some history about it for me please?

My Grandfather was LAC Leonard Hancock, a painter and signwriter in civilian life he continued this career into the RFC when joined in 1915 and he left the RAF in 1921 when he was stationed at Lee-on-Solent.

Many thanks

Trevor

Trevor,

Many of the RFC/RAF Airfields would have had an ' Engine Repair ' facility, however, the 2 main Aircraft Engine Repair Shops in France, were located at St. Omer and Candas.

Regards,

LF

Trevor,

Attached is a photograph of an Aircraft Fitters Hanger, and a Leyland A-Type Lorry equipped as a mobile workshop.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-09732300-1415121400_thumb.j

Although basic maintenance was done at squadron level and at the Aircraft Depots, by 1918 any major engine re-building was done at the BEF's Engine Repair Shops were at Pont de l'Arche, under the command of Colonel G Hynes DSO. Very nice picture of a Leyland workshop lorry but taken in the UK - the aeroplane shed in the background is a 1915 pattern Flight Shed, which wasn't (to my knowledge) erected abroad. At home they were found on such early stations as Catterick, Castle Bromwich, Hounslow and Dover.

• 4 years later...

pont de l'arche my uncle harry ainsworth was there and married local girl madeleine dupark  aidan j Williams has written a bookengine repair shops france 1914-18 good read cheers pete,